I always have a little something to stitch in my handbag – I almost get anxious if I don’t after spending five hours stuck on a commuter train a few years ago! It’s usually one of my cross-stitch smalls and earlier this week I finished another one. Sticking to my New Year Resolution I’ve made it up straight away…
This is a free pattern from La-d-da, my original plan was to make it up on my usual 32 count linen. When I looked at the pattern I realised it would end up about 6″ square, too big for what I wanted…so I had a crazy idea and stitched it over one thread instead – every time I’ve stitched over one thread I’ve vowed never again!
This time it actually worked out fine, I think the important factor for me is that it is a pretty simple, one colour design. I actually quite enjoyed it and it’s made me think this would be a good way to use the 28 count linen in my stash.
In my sewing room, which is painted a soft shade of purple, I have a mini shelf unit…on pinterest I’ve often seen printers trays with a different cross-stitch in each hole, I’d love one but I really haven’t the room or the pennies. My little unit is the shape of a house, with six cubby holes which I intend to fill with cross-stitch smalls, especially purple ones or sewing themed ones. This little cross-stitch was going in one of the 3″ holes.
Yes it really is that small!! The rabbit is actually stitched in a darker shade of grey, it’s come out a bit darker than I anticipated but he’s staying. I found in my scrap box a piece of fabric left over from my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt, it was just about big enough to do the back.
It needed a little something to titivate it a bit round the edges. I thought of making a cord, but I rummaged in my thread box and found one of those threads I fall for at quilting shows and then never seem to work out how to use! It’s just the right shade of purple with a bobbly feel to it. It was just the right weight.
I found some co-ordinating beads in my bead box and stitched them about every centimetre as I couched the thread down. I left the two tails long and threaded a glass bead on the end. It’s just what it needed, a little bit of titivation!
So I have my first sewing room small to go in my house…