Over Christmas I managed to finish the centre block for Kate Chiconi’s Signed, Sealed & Delivered quilt which will be auctioned to raise money for Ovarian Cancer research. It was only when I was checking back through e-mails trying to find Kate’s address that I remembered I’d also promised to make a postcard block! So over New Year I thought I’d better make one…
The 12.5″ block needed a front and back view of a postcard, but the design was completely up to us, I checked on Kate’s blog to see what everyone else had made, I pulled all the teal fabrics I could find out of my stash and eventually decided to do a scene of Catbells, my favourite fell. It’s an image I’ve created several times over the last few months so I knew I could make it relatively easily.
I made the front of the postcard first, I used bondaweb to attach Catbells and the reflection on to the background. I blanket-stitched round using one of the embroidery threads from the cross-stitch block, which reassured me that the colours should work with the rest of the quilt!
For the back I used the same teal batik as Catbells, I appliqued a ‘stamp’ from the fabric Shirley gave me in my Stitching Santa and then embroidered the writing in back-stitch using the variegated thread from the cross-stitch block. It took a while to decide what to write and it was my daughter Helen that suggested the Ordnance Survey grid reference number and the height.
My original plan was to bondaweb the whole postcard onto the block fabric but I was concerned it might make it too thick and stiff, so I just appliqued them on instead. I put the picture at the bottom because it balanced better with the plain area of the back partially covered by the front. The front needed a bit more definition to make it stand out from the background so I chain-stitched around the edge using the variegated thread again.