I’m making good progress on my bee pincushion, considering I only started it at the beginning of the month. I’ve now completed all the panels, they look really pretty, I love the colours. The alphabet goes all around the sides, punctuated by a few bee hives and flowers. The bottom has a simple flower design in the middle and a border.
I’ve interfaced the sides of the pincushion with iron on pelmet Vilene, Nathalie from Jardin Privee who designed the pincushion recommends Jeffytex, I’m not sure but I think it sounds like a stiff Vilene.
Each panel was edged as part of the design with a row of back-stitch. To stitch the edges together, the back-stitches are used as a base for an overstitch, you are not meant to catch the linen at all. I’ve never stitched an edge like this but I must admit it gives a lovely neat edge. On the downside I am finding it quite fiddley and time-consuming. With hindsight I should have made my back-stitches a little looser, I tend to stitch with a fairly firm tension, but by the time I’d pushed the needle under the back-stitch, pulled the thread firm, the next back-stitch was disappearing into the linen! I’m getting there! Hopefully this time next week it will be finished 🙂