I’ve just started a new project that is way out of my comfort zone, and I mean WAY OUT!! I like full instructions, that tell me exactly what to do, that’s why I like cross-stitch, the pattern is there, even the holes are there, I just need patience! So why did I buy a kit for an embroidery at the last Harrogate Show!
Indian Mosiac is a kit designed by Stef Francis. The sample on display was stunning and they had a kit for sale that was my colours to a tee, purples, greens and gold. I was reassured by the assistant that it was very simple and the instructions are very good. I suppose they are if you are into free embroidery…
The kit contains a selection of strips of fabrics, velvets, organza, sequinned…embroidery silks of differing weights, ribbons, sequins, beads, all in gorgeous co-ordinating colours. My first task was to sew them together to make a square of fabric.The strips were overlapped and zig-zagged.
The stitching will show on the finished piece so she recommends using metallic thread. I bought some Gutermann machine embroidery thread especially for the occasion. I fell out with it pretty quickly as it kept snapping and threatening to eat the fabric, I tried a walking foot, changed the needle… I changed to a variegated quilting thread which worked much better. I was a bit concerned that my piece of fabric was no where near flat but it was amazing what a good press did!
The striped fabric square was ironed onto one side of Bondaweb. I then drew a grid of squares and then triangles on the back. Stef recommends the squares are about 3.5cm. This then gives a diamond of around 2.5cm. Being a cautious soul I decided to cut out the diamonds twice the size first. I’m glad I did! I ended up with 25 squares and a few little ones to play with, all little squares would have been too much for me to cope with!
I decided I preferred the effect using just 16 of the squares as it gave a central focus, I played around with the layout for ages until I was happy with the balance of colour and shade. I am planning to use little squares around the edge, if it doesn’t work as a border then it will help with the framing! The main squares have now been ironed in place onto a piece of fine cotton. I’m really pleased with the effect so far!
Now comes the scary bit. I’ve got a pile of threads, beads and sequins and a list of suggested embroidery stitches to do with as I please…now that is way out of my comfort zone!! I think I need to just jump in and go for it! Watch this space, as they say!!