I’m trying to get a few finishes under my belt before I get distracted with new projects. Sometime earlier last year I finished a cross stitch for my sewing room, I had already bought the sewing machine shaped hanger, but it lay in a box unfinished. I think some of the prevarication was because the hanger was bigger than I anticipated, I’d seen the hanger on the Stony Creek website which is where the cross-stitch design came from but postage and taxes from America to UK are somewhat high. I was delighted therefore to see it in a UK shop on line, I ordered it immediately without even considering that there may be different sizes, it was 16″ where 12″ would have been plenty! I was clearly going to have to give it borders!
On Monday I pulled it out and started to rummage through my stash for suitable border fabrics. I found a prefect green one from the Lewis and Irene Bumbleberry range but the purples just weren’t quite right, too light or dark or just the wrong shade. I then spotted a border type fabric I’d bought years ago when I was making the Down the Rabbit Hole quilt, I’d bought a gorgeous layer cake which was the basis of my colour choices, this was part of the range. In the end I didn’t uses it, so it’s sat in my stash ever since. Although it had a busy floral stipe, it also had purple and green stripes which matched perfectly. Bingo!
I stitched an inner border of the green fabric, I cut a strip and then folded it in half, stitching it on like a flange on a quilt. I then added the stripes. The corners needed to be mitred, I decided the easiest way to get them neat would be to press and then hand-sew the seam.
I made a quilt sandwich with a leftover piece of wadding and the stripy flowery fabric as the backing. I kept the quilting simple with just a stitch-in-the-ditch along the purple lines. I found some darker green fabric to bind the sides and the bottom and last night I used the same fabric to form a hanging sleeve whilst looking like the binding.
I’m really pleased with how it’s come out, I think the borders work really well, I just need to decide where to hang it now!