I first cut this skirt out in November, planning to wear it for the works Christmas party on December 4th, I then changed my mind about the party and thought I’d wear it to a Christmas lunch on December 12th with former work colleagues. Sewing Christmas presents took precedence and I wore something else…maybe I’ll make it in time for a trip to the ballet on Christmas eve or Christmas Day itself…well Christmas Day came and went and it was still sitting in pieces on my sewing table!
I was determined to make it for New Years Eve!!
I’ve had the pattern for a while, it’s called the Amira skirt by Fibre Mood. I think I saw it first on social media and loved it immediately, it’s a full pleated skirt, just above ankle length with a shaped waistband. The pattern says it’s suitable for light floaty fabrics or heavier wovens which will hold a pleat. I dug out some lovely damson colour fabric from my stash, I’m not sure what you call it but it’s sort of like a heavier taffeta with slubs in, it’s also got a one way stretch which I didn’t realise when I first cut it out, luckily it didn’t cause many issues.
It’s the first time I’ve made a pattern from the Fibre Mood magasine. Fibre Mood is a bit like the Burda magasine in that all the patterns are printed on a few sheets and you trace off the ones you want. It took a while to work out where the pattern pieces were that I needed, I traced them onto some tissue paper which luckily I had bought a roll of a while ago. I also made life a little easy as I realises that I only really need the top width of the skirt as once it got to hip length it was straight down. The instructions in the magasine are very brief, just pictures really, but on line there are much more detailed instructions.
I was initially planning not to press the full pleats in but having tried the front of the skirt on, the weight of the fabric meant it wasn’t hanging nicely. I realised I was going to have to press all the pleats in. This meant a lot more work, I spent three evenings measuring and tacking each pleat down. At first I worked from the side to the centre, but I realised it wasn’t going to be accurate enough and any inaccuracies would be right at the front of the skirt. I tried measuring each pleat from the centre front or back and that worked much better. Once they were all tacked down I could give them a good press and then stitch the front to the back.
I hand stitched the side zip in and used a decorative stitch for the hem, I’d overlocked the hem first so I didn’t need a bulky double fold for the hem. I finished it mid afternoon on New Years Eve!
When I first tried it on I thought it fitted nicely, but after a few minutes it’s sat a bit too low on my hips, so I did a quick improvised stitch down the side seam of the waist. It could probably do with a bit more but it was sufficient for the evening.
I’m pretty pleased with it, the photos above are from this morning so the pleats are a little crumpled as it’s the morning after the night before.
I need to make a top to go with it as the black cardigan doesn’t really work, however I realised that a cardigan I’d made from an embroidered velvet a few years back actually went with it quite nicely.