Last month I made a Bleuet dress by Deer & Doe in some dark blue silk, it’s turned out beautiful if a little snug…
I decided to make another but generally go up a size. This time I used some turquoise batik style cotton from Boyes, I love the vibrant colours. I’d already cut out the pattern to a size 14 when I made it first, so I just followed the pattern increments to make it more like a size 16. For non-dressmakers amongst you, pattern sizes bear no relation to ready to wear – in shops I usually buy a 12, to be honest I think pattern companies have kept their measurements the same whereas shops have gradually changed their sizing so people think they fit into a smaller size – put it this way, when I was in my 20’s I was a size 10, I’m now 2-3 stone heavier and I’m a 12!
I had a slight disaster when I was making it – I was trying it on when the front and back were attached, as I took it off I heard an awful ripping sound and the fabric had torn 2″ down the back, to my knowledge there wasn’t a snip in the fabric there so I’m not sure why it happened. I decided the only way to rescue it was to bondaweb a patch over and stitch round the edge, luckily it’s a densely patterned fabric so it really doesn’t show!
My next issue was trying to find buttons to match, sixteen of them! Turquoise is one of those colours where it’s very difficult to find a match, in the end I bought some buttons to cover. It took me a while to cover sixteen buttons, but they look good. Please excuse the slightly crumpled look, I’d worn it all day, been shopping etc when I finally got my OH to take a photo.
This one is certainly more comfortable and roomy to wear, though if anything it feels a little on the big size now – maybe next time I’ll just increase a bit on the side seams. I missed the back bow this time as it would have been lost on this fabric. I added pockets again as I do like a dress with pockets.
Maybe third time lucky I’ll get the perfect fit!