Yesterday I finished off an embroidery I started just before Christmas. It is called a Strawberry Pot, it’s a kit by the Historic Needlework Guild which I bought for £3 from a Facebook destash page last year. I suspect it’s quite an old kit as the copyright date is 1997!
When I was packing my overnight bag to go into hospital for my operation I wanted a nice simple cross-stitch to take along. Looking at the photo I thought this fitted the bill, no complicated colour changes, a nice simple design…
…I didn’t twig that the centre strawberry design is stitched over one thread!! Nevertheless, I made a good start in hospital, it took my mind off things whilst I was waiting to go down and I even managed a little stitching the next day before I went home.
It was lovely to stitch as the thread is silk, it felt gorgeous to use, though I’m not convinced it looks much different to DMC once it’s stitched.
I finished the stitching a few days later and then it sat in my workbox as life went a bit pear-shaped over Christmas, until yesterday.
It was fairly easy to make up, though a litle fiddly at times. Having cut the embroidery into a fan shape using the template provided, I stitched a gathering line using a zig-zag machine stitch over a length of strong thread – I used hand-quilting cotton. Then it was a matter of machine-stitching the sides, stuffing and gathering up the top.
The top is finished using a big spiders web stitch with perle thread. I think it’s very effective as a way of covering the top. The stork embroidery scissors give you an idea of size…
As a final finishing touch I added a beaded loop using some tiny green beads from my stash.
I love it! It’s a pretty little thing, it was quick to stitch and easy to finish, a perfect project for convalescing!