I finally got round to making myself a pair of trousers last week and they’ve come out OK, not amazing but certainly wearable.
I bought the fabric last year in Fabworks, it’s medium weight and it has a slight stretch to it, not a lot, but just a bit of give. I decided to use the Ultimate Trouser pattern by Sew Over It, I used it back in 2017 with a very stretchy jacquard fabric and I still wear them a lot. With those I felt they were quite roomy, so rather than adding a side zip I added a waistband with some elastic. They still fit me fine so I just went with the size 14 I’d cut out before…
What I didn’t take into account was my fluctuating weight, due to thyroid issues over the last twelve months I’ve lost and then regained a stone in weight, and those trousers are so stretchy they are very forgiving! I made the trousers up and at the first try on thought, ooh, they’re a bit snug! I decided to unpick the side seams and restitch them with a minimum seam allowance, probably gaining me half an inch on each leg, it was just enough to make a difference.
I stitched in the invisible side zip – it would be more invisible if I didn’t end up with that uneven gap just below it – next time I’m going to stitch the side seam after I’ve put the zip in. Instead I just fudged it a bit and slip-stitched the edges together.
The pattern has a drop waist with a facing, I’d already decided I wanted it a bit higher, I also decided to add a waistband, I just cut a 3″ strip and stitched it round, with hindsight I’d have been better with a four inch one to make it a bit more comfortable.
All in all, they don’t look bad, apart from the waistband they’re pretty comfortable, I can see me getting a fair bit of casual wear out of them – especially if I manage to lose a bit of that stone!! I’d had them on for several hours on the photos, hence the creases and please excuse the dozy look, I was still recovering from a night shift!