Down The Rabbit Hole

It’s a good job I’ve got this three weekly post to write for the hand quilt-a-long as I am struggling a bit to find my mojo with it at the moment! At least with the post to write I did over a couple of hours last night…and then I take a picture and think actually I’ve done quite a lot…I just need to keep at it!

Three weeks ago I was doing a mini happy dance having finally quilted all those little houses…

hand quilting

I’d just moved on to the next border, stitching a few rays on the outer quarters of the sunflowers. There’s quite a lot of rays here, fifteen to be exact! I found my hera marker was great for giving a faint line for me to quilt a long. Last night I finished all the rays of the first flower, stitched a little further along the straight,narrow, purple border and moved onto the flower in the middle. I’ve quilted in the ditch round the outer edge and I’m planning to do the same around the inner ones too. I’m still undecided about whether to do another line a similar distance out from the flower, we shall see.

Hand quilting

The lines straight across are the machine basting lines, they are gradually disappearing as I remove them after quilting, hopefully they will completely disappear when the quilt has it’s first wash.

This quilt was a Sarah Fielke block of the month two years ago, every year she has an on line quilt competition for anyone who has completed one of her BOM quilts that year, it doesn’t have to be the BOM that’s just finished. My Down the Rabbit Hole wasn’t ready last year so I’ve entered it in this year. Well, the on-line quilt gallery has just opened and you can vote for your favourite three quilts, there’s some gorgeous quilts to look at, both Down the Rabbit Hole and also last years BOM, it always fascinates me seeing quilts in different colourways. Please follow the link if you want to have a look.

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyLoriMargaretKerryEmmaTracyDebConnieSusan,  Nanette,  EdithSharonKarrin, and Gretchen

I’ll also be linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday, a celebration of all types of hand-stitching.

This entry was posted in Down The Rabbit Hole, Quilt-a-long, Quilting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Down The Rabbit Hole

1. katechiconi says:

You’re definitely in the toughest part of the process. Keep plugging along, and one day soon, you’ll realise you’re in the home stretch and everything will go much faster.

each time I see photos of this quilt, I fall in love with the colours over again ^^

3. Lisa at Greenbow says:

You will finish it. Hang in there. It was fun to see all the finished quilts in the gallery.

4. Gretchen says:

This is so pretty. You’ve come up with good quilting designs for her. Happy stitching!

5. Lovely work!! It is coming along nicely.

6. Gail says:

The quilting is coming along nicely. Slow and steady progress will get you to the finish line. Beautiful quilt!

7. CathieJ says:

Sometimes blogging is the only reason for crafting, but at least it keeps things moving along. Your quilting is lovely.

8. As it’s said, progress is progress and your making progress 🙂 Your quilt is amazing. I did take a look at the quilt competition and I was blown away by all the fantastic quilts. It was inmpossible to pick my top favorites.

I have been a little in the stuck side too, but now I’m finally getting my mojo back, and you will too! I bet once you have some more of the quilting plan worked out,you move right along. Those finished quilts really are quite amazing!

10. Karrin Hurd says:

Great work! I just love this quilt! Keep at it, you can do it!

11. Every time you do an update of this quilt I can’t help but think how beautiful it is. Every stitch counts!! You will be done before you know it.

12. Carla says:

You can do it it just takes getting in the routine of a few stitches each day and before you know you will be done!

13. Nice work. I should upate on my progress as well.

14. thecraftingsenior says:

Very lovely work! I admire your skill and patience. 😊

15. You’ve got this!! Down the Rabbit Hole is an accomplishment for sure. I’m excited to see it off the hoop. Keep up the good work😊❤️

I really like this quilt of yours.

17. Deb says:

I think just about every one that hand quilts a quilt get stuck somewhere along the way! It doesn’t hurt to step back a pace for a breather ,nice thing is this group keeps one from sitting there too long.😀 really like your rays.