It’s our Embroiderers Guild meeting on Monday and as I’m away for the weekend in London I thought yesterday I’d better crack on with my Travelling Sketchbook entry. It’s the final swap of these travels, I get my own book on mountains back on Monday – exciting to see it again with lots of new embroideries inside!
The theme of this months book is ‘Domesticity’, I did struggle to think what to embroider, previous entries have been on keys, a house, lavender (I like that one) a chatelaine…
I tried my usual source of ideas, Pinterest and one name kept coming up, Jenny of Elefantz. Jenny is an Australian designer, her designs tend to be what I would call pretty vintage style, a little bit twee at times but very pretty. She is actually one of the first blogs I followed when I started this one. I remembered that I had subscribed to her pattern releases for a year so I had a look through my files and found one I thought I could adapt.
I decided to look at the theme of domesticity in terms of what I see as ‘domestic bliss’ and this image does seem to encapsulate it for me. It has a little house, surrounded by a garden full of flowers with plenty of room for sewing and creating, all surrounded with love…very apt for Valentines Day too!
I chose a piece of quilting cotton which has a very delicate grey floral pattern on it. It’s very pretty but I found the one disadvantage was that the grey pattern looked just like the pencil lines of my tracing. Of course this did have the advantage that where I changed the design slightly the pencil lines don’t show up!!
I embroidered it with DMC 4030, I wanted a variegated thread that didn’t have very light areas, but also wasn’t too dark. I can also argue that peaceful greens and blues are the colours I have painted my own home!!
Jenny’s patterns tend to be mainly in back-stitch or stem stitch, I wanted to vary it a bit. I used chain-stitch round the heart as I find it quite forgiving when you’re trying to stitch a nice curve. I turned the barn into a cottage, it was meant to have little buttons either side but mine weren’t quite small enough, I later added three flower shaped blue sequins underneath and a few beads instead.
The flowers were meant to be tulips, but I changed them into daisies instead and used feather stitch for the leaves. OK this isn’t botanically correct but it looks pretty!!
I changed the scallops at the apex to buttonhole stitch and used a double whipped running stitch for the twisted cord of the scissor fob.
I’m fairly pleased with this one, I don’t feel it’s as much ‘me’ or my usual style, probably because I adapted a pattern, rather than starting from scratch with an idea, but I found it a difficult subject to choose an image for. I have managed to incorporate most of the stitches in the new round of TAST too!
We’re starting a new round of Travelling Sketchbooks in March so I think I’ll have to choose a new theme for my next book.