I’ve been trying today to get Helen’s quilt top finished, but it’s not going to happen today, I’ve got myself into a slight pickle with it which will need a fresh head to sort out, not a midnight head!!
I’ve been hand-sewing all the tails, eyes and little spikes of hair today. I decided to use perle thread as it’s a decent weight and I also happen to have a box full of lovely colours! I used chain stitch for the tails, the pattern (Elephants by Laundry Basket Quilts) has fabric tails, but I felt having the tails just hanging straight down made them look a bit miserable, by embroidering them I could make happy, swishy tails. I had quite a bit of fun embroidering the tails, there’s one on each line holding the next one’s tail, some swish upwards, some curl downwards, inwards, outwards….The coloured elephants have tails in co-ordinating colours whereas the grey elephants have either a light or a dark grey tail, which ever would show up best.
I spotted some small black buttons on Otley market yesterday, when I said I wanted thirty she did me a deal, so that worked out well! I did debate when to stitch them on as I’m sure they are going to annoy me when I try and quilt near them however I didn’t want black thread showing through to the back and it would have been difficult to avoid it. I stitched them on and with the last stitch I added a tiny silver bead to add a little twinkle in their eyes.
I finally finished all the hand-stitching so I decided to stitch the rows together, planning to buy my backing and batting tomorrow in Skipton. The bottom two rows went together easily. As the stripes inbetween are random lengths I didn’t have any direct seams to match up, this made it easier but also made me lazy with pinning and checking!
The third row seemed to be going on fine but when I got to near the end I realised I would be about 2″ short!! I checked a few squares and they were all 11.5″ so I decided it was just tension between the top and the bottom. Out came my friend the stitch ripper. I pinned but it was still out, when I double checked my blocks, one is way out at the top, like 3/4″ out, it doesn’t look like a trapezium but it obviously is!! The pink one is the guilty one, it’s ok at the bottom, just the top edge needs sorting. It shouldn’t be too hard but I want a clear head to sort it out.
I’m linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday, why not have a look what every one else has been stitching.