It’s three weeks since my last stitch-a-long post, with Christmas and New Year and life in general in between I only managed to spend one evening on my flower lattice embroidery.
This is an embroidery I started a couple of months ago which was designed by Di Van Niekirk, it includes ribbon embroidery and stumpwork so it’s a huge learning curve for me as it’s what I call ‘proper embroidery’!!
This is where I was three weeks ago, I’d just finished my first block with the cute little spider…
The second block is entitled ‘ A daisy, a snail & wild sorghum’, I have to admit I have no idea what wild sorghum is, but it looks pretty!!
The daisy is embroidered with a warm, pale yellow silk ribbon with lazy daisy stitches. One thing I learned here is that it is worth following the instructions and using a 16 chenille needle. I stitched the stems first with a needle I picked out of my pincushion, whilst I didn’t have a problem making the stitches it did damage the silk ribbon pretty quickly. Once I swapped to the size 16 chenille it made a bigger hole in the fabric and therefore the ribbon wasn’t damaged. Every third stitch on the daisy is just a twisted straight stitch, this reduces the bulkiness of the flower. The centre is french knots in a variegated thread using one or two wraps to get a bit of texture.
I’ve not bought the recommended threads for this project, I’ve bought some shaded threads at Delicate Stitches in Kentish Town, otherwise it’s DMC substitutes. I stitched the snail shell with one thread of a beige/brown thread and one threadof a beige/pink thread. I think it’s worked pretty well. The shell is stitched with a added satin stitch, which is where you stitch round the edge with stem stitch and then satin stitch over the edge to make a rounded effect. The centre is just chain stitch round in a circle.
The body is created with stem stitch, probably my least favourite stitch as my effort is never as smooth as I feel it should be. This time it worked fairly well with the main area stitched in a sandy colour, a few straight stitches added in the brownl thread and then a little green added to ‘ground it’.
Although I’ve only managed one evening this time, I’m pleased with the result, hopefully I’ll manage more next time, especially as I’ve a day sewing at my Embroiderers Guild |meeting.
This stitch -a-long is organised by Avis from Sewing Beside the Sea, why not have a look at what every one else is stitching. We all post our progress on a specific project every three weeks but we’re all at different time scales at opposite ends of the globe, so if there’as nothing there at first, do check later! If you fancy joining in just send a message to Avis.
- Avis at http://sewingbesidethesea.wordpress.com
- Claire at http://claire93.wordpress.com
- Gun at http://rutigt.wordpress.com
- Carole at http://aslightobsessionwithbooks.wordpress.com
- LucyAnn at https://lucyannluna.wordpress.com
- Jess at https://everthecrafter.wordpress.com
- Sue at http://sewingmagpie.blogspot.com
- Constanze at https://textiledreamer.wordpress.com
- DebbieRose at https://sewrosey.wordpress.com
- Christina at https://petalsandpins.wordpress.com
- Susan at http://susanpblog.wordpress.com
- Kathy at https://livinginrapidcity.wordpress.com
- Kate at https://talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com/
- Cindy at http://homeofaflossjunkie.blogspot.com
- Helen at http://stitchingranny.wordpress.com
- Steph at https://mymakingdoadventure.wordpress.com
- Linda blogs at http://lindascr8tions.wordpress.com
- Catherine blogs at http://hillviewembroidery.com
- Wendy at https://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.co.uk/