What’s in a Name

A couple of months ago (ok, I admit it was probably a bit more than a couple!) we were all given a name badge to create at Skipton Embroiderers Guild, it’s a great idea, as particularly for a newbie like me it can be a bit daunting trying to remember names.

The following month there were some beautiful name badges in use, all embroidered or beaded, whatever the owner fancied creating. Whilst it was all very inspiring it also left me wondering what I could do that could be anywhere near as nice. I kept pondering but never quite managed to come up with a plan…

One of my New Year resolutions this year was not to play any solitaire on the computer, so far (I know it’s only day 3!!) I’ve stuck to it, the downside is that I’ve rediscovered pinterest…gosh there’s some seriously beautiful things on there! I was looking at embroideries and these two photos caught my eye.

I decided I could adapt the idea to make a name badge. First of all I embroidered my name using my favourite DMC variegated threads. I stitched some double cross-stitches and some running stitches underneath and added SEG at the top for Skipton Embroiderers Guild. My OH spotted me at this point and when I told him I was embroidering a name badge he said I really needed to get out more…then very quickly reflected and decided I go out quite a lot anyway 🙂

Embroidered name badge

I then started playing around with fabric, laces, ribbons and buttons. I rather liked the idea of a chatelaine style badge with dangly bits! I applied some iron on interfacing to the embroidery and the fabric before stitching it all together. I added some sewing themed buttons and charms as well as some tiny mother of pearl buttons.

I decided to make it into a necklace rather than a brooch as I feel you don’t always want to stick a pin in your blouse. I just had enough of my ‘life is beautiful’ tape left to make the necklace.

I’m really pleased with my name badge, I will wear it with pride! I’ve just got to remember to pack it in my bag!

Embroidered name badge

This entry was posted in Crafts, embroidery, Serendipity and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to What’s in a Name

1. MrsCraft says:

That’s lovely, glad you found some inspiration 😊

2. Kate says:

Your name badge is beautiful – such a creative mind you have.

3. KerryCan says:

That’s great! My quilt guild members wear handmade name tags, too–and, I swear, it seems very competitive to me! Wear yours with pride!

4. sewchet says:

Oh, how lovely – and how creative! Photos of what the others have come up with would be lovely too, if you could manage it:)

Margaret, it’s wonderful! I like it better than your inspirations!!

It is absolutely gorgeous. Well done you and I love the dangly bits, where did you find them please?

• craftycreeky says:

Thanks Cathy, the sewing machine button and the handmade button came from a market stall on Otley market (I could post you some if you want!) The scissors are a bit cheap looking so they will get replaced when I find some nice ones, they came in a sewing themed pack from Duttons for buttons, the bobbins in the same pack were lovely. The tiny wooden bobbin – I can’t remember!

7. Ann Creek says:

My halfwritten reply just WENT !! What I was trying to say was start a trend to have nursing badges embroidered ! You could have a whole row of miniature bedpans dangling at the base ! X X

8. Catherine says:

How absolutely beautiful! And what a great idea. I love how you’ve combined the different ideas.

9. anniegc33@yahoo.co.uk says:

Sent from my iPad

10. Thimberlina says:

Wow, that’s so lovely!! Have you seen the post about the next Dewsbury meet up? I’ve suggested people wear name badges and you could wear yours!! Your hubbies comment really made me laugh! Brilliant!! 😂

11. Pingback: Goodie Bag Guidance! | T H I M B E R L I N A