Over the last few weeks I’ve been busy making entries for our local show where there is a very well supported handicraft section. Last year for the first time ever (I’ve been entering for over 20 years!!) I won the cup for the most points in handicrafts, so I’m defending my cup!! Luckily I have very few local followers on my blog, so I don’t think my secrets are out too far!
Over the weekend I’ve made a couple of accessories to go with one of my bags and a new toy…
One of the bags I’ve made is a knitting bag from a Butterick pattern 5006, I had a few wobbles making it but it all came out ok in the end, I think I’ll be using it a lot afterwards to keep my crochet in. The pattern also includes some accessories, I’ve decided to ‘kit out’ the bag to try and display it better, so I’ll pop a pattern in a pocket, some scissors in another and some balls of wool inside. I’ve also made the coordinating knitting needle holder and pincushion from the pattern.
I used all the leftover fabric from the bag, the knitting needle case is quite big (I suppose it has to be as knitting needles are quite long!!) so the fabric I had left wasn’t quite big enough to do the main piece and the flap in one. I pieced the flap separately which actually worked better as it meant the trees weren’t upside down inside! The pattern called for iron on wadding, I found some scrap batting left from quilts and used spray basting to stick it together.
The pin cushion is one of those with pockets round the side for reels of thread. It all gathers up into a bit of a dolly bag. It needed quite a big piece of fabric and the bag fabric is all very one directional. I would have preferred to use the triangle fabric but I had no where near enough for that. In the end I chose the rabbit fabric, I think it looks cute. The pincushion is attached with a spot of stick-on Velcro, it has a base of cardboard to keep the bottom flat.
So that’s my knitting bag kitted out…
I’ve made two toys for the show, both will be pincushions afterwards! One is a huge hippopotamus called Mary (don’t blame me, I didn’t name her!) the other is a cute owl called Archimedes, he’s really cute, but I decided he is just too small to be called a toy. I found a pattern on my computer called Dave the Dachshund, well I’ve made Dot the Dach!
It’s a very simple pattern and I used up some spotted Clarke furnishing fabric. I fussy-cut the ears but purely by chance a spot landed right on the eye on both sides, perfect! I just needed a spot of felt in the middle and a cone of felt around her nose. She’s very simple, but she would actually be a perfect toy for a small child as she is easily grab-able. When my kids were toddlers a favourite toy was a giraffe I made, they held it round it’s neck!