Over the weekend I concentrated on finishing my flower sampler, this is for my textile book about the garden. I’ve been doing an on-line course with Nicki Franklyn frm the stitchery called Stitch-a-Garden and this sampler is one of the things she suggests, it has been a useful exercise in trying out different stitches. Last time I sharde my progress I was about three quarters of the way through…
I stitched some more bullion roses, added some straight ones too which could be veronica or liatris. I’ve used three different shades of pink for the rose bush, I think it works pretty well.
The final set of three samples is flowers using applique and fabric manipulation. The first one is made with hand-dyed silk ribbon, I cut a circle and then stitched it to the calico, scrunching bits up as I went. This is a technique which Nicki showed us. The central purple ones are just circles of silk ribbon stitched with a single seed stitch in the middle, tweaking it a bit to make the flowers a bit more random. The right hand sample was meant to be needle turn applique, the one onthe left is the only one done this way, it’s come out OK int the end but it’s very buly and it was pretty fiddly, the other two are just circles of cotton stitched on with fly stitch. The details of the stitches used for these last ones are all relating to the leaves, I think fish-bone stitch is still my favourite.
This piece will probably go in my book opposite the tree and shrub version. I’ve stitched quite a few little pieces for my book so I probably need to start making them into pages.