In mid December I decided to make myself a new dress for Christmas, not a Christmas dress as such, just a nice one to wear this year. In the summer I had splashed out and bought three Deer and Doe dress patterns, one of which was the Passeflore, a shirt waister style wrap dress. I’ve always had an issue with wrap dresses showing more than I want when the wind blew but as this pattern has a double breasted button style, I’m hoping that’s not going to be a problem.
In the autumn I’d also fallen for some gorgeous baby needlecord in kingfisher blue from Fabrics for All in Armley, Leeds. I’d bought it on line and when it arrived I did think oh gosh, that’s quite a bright colour but I decided that with some navy blue buttons to tone it down a touch it would look great. I even wondered about doing the cuff and collar linings in a contrasting blue but I didn’t have anything suitable in my stash. The fabric feels gorgeous, so soft to touch.
According to the info on the back of the pattern packet I had just enough fabric, I rarely follow the suggested pattern layouts so I was a bit miffed initially having cut everything out to see I still had 1.5m left…then I started sewing…step 2, stitch second pair of fronts to yoke lining…second pair, what second pair!! So I did actually have just the right amount of fabric! The only change I made to the pattern was to cut the skirt pieces as one length rather than having a deep strip round the bottom of the skirt.
The dress went together really easily, it took a while but the instructions were nice and clear. When it came to buttons I wanted the plain flat navy buttons, I think they’re called smartie buttons. I had a look in my button drawer, I had exactly what I wanted, but only seven, I needed ten. The local shops didn’t have any so instead I found some almost matching ones in my stash, some of them are actually the back of a button to get that flat matt look. I used the matching ones for the lower ones on the front and used the oddments for the ones under the belt or hidden by the collar. I’ll try and replace them with some matching ones in time but I think I’ve got away with it.
I bought a broad elastic navy belt on ebay which just finishes the dress perfectly. I’m really pleased with it, it’s lovely to wear, my only change next time would be to add pockets, I did think about it at the time but decided to make it as was, but every time I put it on my hands want to find pockets!
I think the passeflore is going to prove quite a useful pattern as there’s also a short sleeved version and suggested fabrics include linen and cotton lawn, so it would make a lovely summer dress too. I’m tempted to get some more of this needlecord to as they had it in several colours, though I’m trying to use my stash rather than buy more fabric at the moment!