A couple of weeks ago I had a mad moment and ordered three Deer and Doe patterns, I fell for the Passiflora, but once on the website the Orchidee and the Bluett also appealed.
I decided to make the Bluett first, this is a princess line dress, sleeveless but with a collar and stand and a bow on the back. I had a look through my stash file which I bought a few months ago. It’s been very helpful as I’ve measured all my fabric and together with a small sample I’ve listed the width and length of each piece. I’ve also listed them according to length so I could easily see which fabrics I had over 3m in. I had 4m of these beautiful midnight blue silk dupion. It looks darker in real life compared to the photos. It’s not as shiny or blingy as most dupion silks and I really like that understated look, it means I can wear the dress when I just want something smart and classy, not the full evening look.
I remembered my sizes from the last skirt I made ( which is fairly recent!) and duly cut out a size 42. I added about 12″ to the length to get it the midi length I like rather than the knee length of the pattern.
The pattern went together pretty easily. I did have a giggle one day, I realised I was running out of navy thread with no opportunity for a couple of days to go to a shop. As my OH was popping into Otley I asked him to buy some navy blue thread. He came back chuntering ‘Do you know how many blues there are, none of them have names on!!!’ There’s me thinking navy blue thread was a reasonable description! He actually googled gutermann thread whilst in the shop to find which number was officially navy blue!
The seams are all top-stitched, I over locked them first as dupion is a so and so for fraying. When I got t the sewing side seams stage I was already becoming a little concerned with sizing, so I made the side seam slightly narrower. The only other change was to add pockets, I do like a dress with pockets!
When I first tried it on it was definitely snug. I did consider adding a stitched on front facing but that would have meant I had to alter the collar stand and the collar. I decided in the end I could just about get away with it…and hope I lose a little weight!
The last part of the instructions was the button holes, with the extra length there’s about 17 buttonholes! I did wonder what my chances were of my sewing machine sewing so many buttonholes with out throwing a wobbly…but it made all 17 perfectly. It took me ages to sew the buttons on, there’s actually only 15 buttons as that’s all they had left in the shop, however I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to buy some more.
I’m really pleased with this dress, though it is a little snug, particularly around the midriff (I’m blaming starting on HRT!) I might need to put on some slim fast knickers! I’ll certainly be making another though, just maybe slightly bigger!