I’ve started a new project, it hopefully won’t take too long but I’m pretty pleased with it so far.
I was trying to think of different things I could embroider, as there is a limit to wall space and my walls are getting pretty full. In the latest edition of the Stitch magasine there’s a pretty design of flowers and leaves to go on the shoulder of a t-shirt. I didn’t fancy it on a t-shirt but I thought on a cotton shirt it could look rather pretty.
I had a perusal on pinterest to try and find a suitable shirt pattern but of course I started going off on a bit of a tangent and saw lots of pretty designs on denim jackets. Now only the week before I had finally got round to buying a denim jackets – it’s only taken 55 years!! It’s actually a soft teal colour which goes with a lot of my summer clothes. I also knew they had it in pink and blue as well. To be honest I didn’t fancy all the hard work involved in sewing a jacket to then not like the embroidery,this sounded a good trying out plan!
I wandered into town and bought a blue one to embroider, they’re from a shop called Harriets which tend to sell seconds or end of lines, so they’re very reasonable.My only niggle is that they have a fair bit of lateral stretch. I decided I could work round this.
I then wandered into Sainsbury’s, our local supermarket and spotted denim jackets, £22 and no stretch!! They only had a warm white one in my size but I decided it was cheap enough to give it a bash.
…so I now have three denim jackets!
Having seen a couple on the internet the design I’ve chosen is just an informal row of flowers along the bottom of the back, a bit like a meadow or a garden border. Last night I drew in silver gel pen a basic outline of stems to give me some structure. I’m sure I’ll add to this but it seemed an easier way of getting it look even whilst still looking relaxed.
I’m pleased with it so far, I planning to have foxgloves,echincea, lavender, alliums to name but a few. I’m also not going to get too tangled up with botanical correctness! I’m particularly pleased with the blue stems as I thought up a new stitch, new to me anyway – I made a lazy daisy and then secured it with a french knot.
Hopefully I will soon havemore progress to show and I’ve already got plans for the blue on!