This afternoon I cracked on and finished the flowery pincushion, yesterday when I posted I had two flowers left…
I stitched the cone flower in bullion knots and the allium in irregular cross-stitch. It was nice to learn last night that as a medieval pincushion it is accurately inaccurate! I gather the manuscripts and paintings from that time are not known for their botanical accuracy so I can just enjoy the stitches!
This is the finished embroidery just waiting to be made up..,
Making it into a segmented pincushion wasn’t tricky, just fiddly! I gathered all the way round the pencilled circle with a strong thread and then started to pull it in and stuff at the same time. This is where I needed about six hands! Once it was stuffed firmly I pulled the gathering threads tight and tied a double knot. I trimmed the threads, this was a big mistake…I squeezed it a bit to even out the stuffing and the gathering thread popped and I was back to the beginning again!
Second time round I enlisted the help of my OH to tie the knot and then overstitched the loose ends too. I then used the strong thread from the kit to form the segments and stitch on the button. Once it was all secure I covered a cardboard disc with some fabric and ladder stitched it over the bottom.
I’m quite chuffed with this one, it’s rather pretty.
I’ve just discovered that this kit is now available on Etsy, the designer is Sheila Knight, here’s the link to her Etsy shop, SMKembroidery
I’m linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday.