At the weekend I finally got round to having a photo taken in a dress I made a couple of weeks ago. It’s sort of a practise run for sewing with sheers as one of my challenges this year (2020 Vision) is to sew a sheer shirt. On one of my trips to Dewsbury to fabric shop I fell for a raspberry pink cotton lawn. It’s very fine, I think it’s called acid-etched cotton as the design is the sheer bit. I’ve fallen for this type of fabric three times now, all from Lucky Fashions in Dewsbury, probaby for around £5 a metre. I made a dress from a length in teal in 2018, I’ve worn it quite a few times…
This time I made the pink up, as you can see it’s very pink, what I would call raspberry pink and the pattern etched out is a multitude of dragonflies. These fabrics are not as sheer to wear as you would think, you can see the top area with my arm behind really isn’t that see through, though with a bit of light behind it’s a different matter! Having said that, I do need to make an underskirt of some kind to wear for a bit of modesty!
I decided to make a shirt waiter dress, a nice cool looking one for summer. I rifled through my patterns and decided on Vogue 9371, it’s part of the Vogue Easy Options and as shirt-waister dresses go, it is pretty simple.
It’s very loose fitting, there’s no darts to shape the back or front, and only side seams to stitch for the main body. I didn’t want to use a white interfacing, however thin, so instead I used some pink batik fabric I had in my stash which was the perfect colour, I just hand stitched it round the collar pieces and stitched as one, it worked really well.
I lengthened the skirt a bit, I do like my summer dresses pretty long. The cap sleeves were edged with bias binding and as it happened I had a perfect match of bias in my stash, I think it was some that someone passed on to me when clearing a house, it was meant to be!
I didn’t have any buttons to match but I did find just enough self cover buttons, not all exactly the same, but near enough. I made them with the batik behind again both to give a little strength and to stop the white plastic from showing through.
It’s a pretty dress, I’m just not 100% sure about the pattern, I don’t feel it’s the most flattering, with all the gathering being created by the sash it’s not easy to get it to look neat. Maybe a proper belt would be better, or maybe I just need to wear it a bit, get used to it!