I’ve managed to finish a few things over the weekend, so I’ll share them with you over the next few days. I’m trying to reduce my fabric stash a bit, especially my dress-making lengths, I want to reorganise how I store things in my sewing room and really that means being able to fit it all in one large cupboard…
It’s time for some dress-making!
In the New Year I decided to order some new patterns whilst they were on half price offer, help to kick-start my sewing. One pattern was Butterick 6605. It is described as ‘Modern Fit with Ready to Wear Sizing’. Whilst the photo of the outfit is of a more curvy model, the line drawing is of the usual slim version, sizes vary from X-small to X-large.
I started with the top, using some lovely shirting left over from a previous project. I looked at the bust measurements and also the generous ease and cut out an extra small (34-35″ bust). It actually went together OK, but it felt a little snug, I let a little out on the side seams. I also found the hidden button placket made the front very stiff – it meant there were basically six layers of fabric and three layers of interfacing up the centre front. It also made the round neck a little uncomfortable. At this point it was nearly going in the bin! I slept on it…
I decided I had nothing to lose by hacking it, I wouldn’t wear it as it was. I took off the button placket, I undid all the edge-stitching round the centre front and neckline. I re-stitched it as a V neck. The centre front caused issues as it wasn’t on a straight with the fabric, I’ve checked the pattern piece and it wasn’t my cutting out!! In the end I used three small buttons from my stash with which I could get away with skimming the edge of the garment, rather than the large buttons suggested.
I think there is now a chance of me wearing it!
Next was the skirt, which is actually very similar to the wrap skirt in the Great British Sewing Bee in episode one. By the way, it’s quite exciting this year as one of my sewing buddies is a contestant, Ali (who blogs as Thimberlina or Thimbers on Instagram) organises the sewing meet-ups in Dewsbury a couple of times a year. She’s actually a paramedic and in all the time I’ve known her, I’ve only met her twice at work, twice in one week she brought a patient into my department when I was on duty, she took a selfie of the two of us!
So fingers crossed for Ali, she’s doing well so far!
Back to the skirt…
Having found the top a little snug, I took extra care with my measurements. I found it a little odd as it suggested measuring full hip, add 2″ for ease, then that is the size to go on! This made me a large size. Strange, but I did as I was told…
I was using some lovely linen which I’ve had in my stash for years, I mean probably 20 years, I seem to remember it was about 50p a yard at the shuttle as it had potentially excess dye in it. It has a lovely drape to it. I just had enough left to cut the skirt out.
The actual skirt went together easily. However…it was huge! Although it is a wrap skirt I couldn’t just wrap it further round as the hang was all wrong. I slept on it!
I decided to add two extra darts in the back and take in a good 3/4″ at each side seam, it means the pockets are a little deeply set, but it was either that or forgo the pockets. It was meant to have ties, however with the fitting issues I’d had I decided to use buttons instead.
When I stand still it looks OK, but I’ve remembered now what issue I have with a wrap skirt, when I walk up steps I show my leg, like a lot of leg, like the whole of my leg!! Maybe I’m just not lady-like enough to wear this style!! It’ll be fine for staying in days and I have quite a lot of those at the moment!
As for the pattern, it’s going in the bin!!