A couple of months back I deduced that half of my issue with dress-making at the moment, was my choice of patterns. I have a large stash of fabric, most of which I still love, but every time I went to a pattern, there would be a crucial bit missing, or I no longer fitted the size cut or I just couldn’t see what I want wanted. Most of my patterns were pretty old, some 20 years or more, mostly well used. I decided I needed some new ones, so every time a make was advertised at half price, I perused through and bought a few, trying to get a better mix of everyday wear, rather than just smart stuff. I now have quite a collection to try!
One of my purchases was Simplicity 8474, at first glance I thought it was just a simple skirt, but I loved the drape of it, so I bought it. It’s designed for stretch fabrics only and it is such a simple make I love it!
I used some fabric from my stash that I actually bought last year with the idea of making my mum some simple jersey dresses. One was a big floral, I think it might be a Lady McElroy fabric, but I’m not sure. It’s not the sort of thing I’d choose for myself usually but having made it up I like it.
It was a so and so to cut out!! Trying to get it to lie flat was impossible, mainly because the two layers seemed to stick to each other. In the end I did my best and went for it, luckily there’s only a front, a back and two deep waist bands so I got away with it.
I pulled out my overlocker, which I’m still getting to grips with but I managed to get a good stitch so I made almost all of it on the overlocker. I did a sample stitch too and pinned it in a notebook with the settings that worked!
It went together so easily, there’s only the two side seams and then you’re stitching the waistband on. I opted to stitch some elastic in too, just as back up!! The ‘waistband’ is about 6″ deep, which I think makes it fairly flattering!
It then had to hang for 24 hours before hemming, let the fabric settle…so I made another one!
This time I used a slightly heavier jersey, I think it’s possibly a cotton ponte, it feels nice and has a good drape to it. It was also much easier to cut out! I love the teal colour, it was another one bought for my mum and not used. The basic skirt can literally be made in a couple of hours, it’s great!
Of course I then got distracted by the garden so they hung, waiting to be hemmed for a week. This afternoon I finally got round to it. I played with a few stitches on my machine. I overlocked the edge first, pressed it up, I then used a triple zig-zag on the floral one and an wavy line on the teal one.
They are so comfortable, they are lovely to wear with a nice swish! The fabrics feel lovely too, they’ll be great for warmer spring days. I do like a swishy skirt!! I can see this being a well used pattern.