Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been working on a textile book of all the finished and unfinished crafty things we found when clearing my mum’s house when she went into a care home a couple of years ago. I had started it a few months ago but I was spurred on to finish it as I wanted it on display at her funeral this week. It was quite therapeutic working on it.
I showed you some of the pages last week…
Well I finished it just in time. I decided to edge the pages with a simple zig-zag, it doesn’t make as neater finish as I prefer, but it was manageable considering the number of pages I had to do, I zig-zagged round them all once and then a second time, but this time I used an overlocking thread which is slightly ‘fluffier’ to give coverage. I wondered about using different colours for each page, but the thought of trying to co-ordinate back and front colours – I just used grey!
Some of the pages have pockets I can keep things in…
The square embroidered bag contains letters I found between my parents before they were married. The tall purse contains bookmarks my mum bought on visits out. She wrote on the back who she was with and when, there were dozens of them but these were ones with my children.
The embroidered bible covers have little paintings slotted in their end pieces. There are bigger pictures in the cover pockets of the book.
The ‘I’ below was on a cushion, I used it for the opening page. The quilts in the background were two quilts she made years ago which were well used to the point of being threadbare in places. I have lots of happy memories with these quilts as they were up in my mum’s weekend cottage in West Witton in Wensleydale.
I took an idea from the Stitchbook Experience books and used a bead inbetween each page, it just helped to space the pages, particularly as some were quite bulky.
The outer cover is made from a larger cross-stitch with some uphosltery fabric both as back and lining. One of the buttons covers a stain which didn’t come out with washing! I made it long enough so I could fold the ends over to make pockets for paintings. I found some stiff interfacing in my stash, I wasn’t sure if it was the iron on one or not, anyway I slotted it in place and ironed it, it was, the lining side is stuck to the stiffener.
I’ve really pleased with how it’s come out, I’ve one large piece of embroidery left which is going to be made into a bag to keep it in. To give you an idea of size, the
I took it along to the funeral tea but sadly due to the lockdown with corona virus, hardly anyone could come – put it this way our catering numbers went from 40 to 15 the day before the funeral. If it was happening now we wouldn’t even be allowed that many! It was hard as it doesn’t seem a fair reflection of her life, but we moved the service to the Lady Chapel and this made it a nice intimate service with close family and friends, rather than rattling round in a big church. These are difficult times.