I started this little cross-stitch back at the start of November, it was a kit I bought at Bonds in Farsley – three for £5, I found two pretty blue designs and was struggling to find a third kit for my bargain price. The assistant pointed this one out, it’s got a sort of old-fashioned quaintness about it. I also thought that as the flowers are more peach/orange, it will spread from summer to autumn for my smalls display! I think it was a Lanarte kit, I saved the pack for this moment, but having just totally reorganised my sewing room I’ve mislaid it!
I changed the aida provided for some evenweave linen, not sure what colour this is officially, it’s an off white, light stone sort of colour. It would have been fairly quick to stitch if I didn’t have so many other projects on the go, as it was it was December before it was finished and it had to wait til last night to be made into a small.
I found some green quilting cotton in my stash and played around a bit with trims before I finally decided on the narrow ivory lace and the beige tape. Having stitched it together and stuffed it I felt it needed something else. I tried some buttons in the corners but that didn’t work, so they got unpicked.
This morning I decided to try beads, I fished out my bead box, had a rummage and found these lovely amber coloured beads, they’re from a mixed colour set from Hobbycraft and they’ve proved very useful over time. I found some tiny green ones which were a similar shade to the cotton as well as the flower bead. Ideas began to formulate…
I stitched an amber bead in each corner, using a tiny green bead to help secure it. For one top corner I went through the amber bead, then picked up just over an inch of the tiny green ones, the flower and finally a peach mini bead, I then threaded the needle back down the line of green beads as far as the amber one. I then picked up another good inch of green beads, finishing with a bright blue one which had escaped into the green bead pot, it just happened to be the same shade as the flower jug. I added a bird charm before returning back through the line of beads and securing the thread back in the small.
Job done! It’s just enough to finish it without overwhelming the design, the beads aren’t quite so bright as they look with camera flash! I think this will be the last cross-stitch finish of 2019, it will be all ready when summer and autumn 2020 arrive!