I’m on a bit of a roll now, I’ve just finished another dress, this time it’s a pretty summer cotton frock. I do like my summer dresses.
I used McCall’s 6958 which is labelled as ‘easy, make it today!’ I have to say, if I concentrated and didn’t get distracted by the internet, then yes, it could be made in a day.
It’s a deceptively simple dress, there are only two main pieces, the front and the back (plus obviously a couple of facings) all the shaping is done by the four pleats front and back. The fabric is some I’ve had in my stash for a while, I think I picked it up on Goldhawk Road. It’s only 45″ wide which is sufficient, but if you want to pattern match and lengthen the dress by 4″…well I couldn’t do both! I decided to lengthen by 4″ and just aim to have the pattern level round the dress. The pattern has come out surprising well at the front, not perfectly central but it could have been a lot worse!
It went together very easily, I used french seams for all the main seams, the facing is deep enough that (so far) it doesn’t seem to wiggle out to the front. I hand-stitched the zip in, which is my usual method as I find it easier to get a neat result by hand.
I cut out a straight size 12, it fits me neatly, I could have done with a little more ease but not much. Despit adding about 4″ I didn’t want to lose any more length with a deep hem so I used a decorative stitch to make a narrow hem.
I like it, my OH likes it, in fact I’ve already cut another one out in a Liberty Tana lawn – with a little more ease at the sides!
Here’s an arty-farty shot my OH decided to take!