I’m rather partial to things with bees on, we used to keep bees and my mum has this theory (which I think i a load of twaddle!!) that my maiden name, Bickerdike, means beekeepers by the dyke! I made her a little bee pincushion a couple of months ago for her birthday. I love it that much I’m actually stitching it again for myself…
In the meantime I found another bee cross-stitch. This one is by Lesley Teare, she generously gives it for free on her website. It didn’t take long to stitch, I had the lovely purple linen left over from a previous project. I think the bees are a little cartoonish compared to the lavender but I still think it’s rather cute….
Last night I decided to make it up. I had a perusal through my scrap box and found a strip of fabrics left over from ny Down the Rabbit Hole quilt. The two fabrics went beautifully with the cross-stitch but I felt it needed something else inbetween. I found a lovely soft plainish purple which was big enough for the back as well.
I then had a route through my trimmings drawers, this is where my cutting out table gets messy! After much deliberating I used some ric-rac and some pompom trim.
I embroidered a line of feather stitch down the plain fabric, I was thinking of adding tiny buttons to the squares but I think it’s busy enough.
I stitched the front and back together, leaving the left hand side open, at the last minute I decided to stitch a row of pom-poms as I went a long, it just finishes it nicely.
I took it outside for the photos and found a bed of purple sage with erysimum flowers overhanging it.