I’ve just finished my Tula Pink quilt! This one is going to be auctioned at a charity ball so I felt it need to be fairly striking, having said that I had lots of wobbles making it as the colours are brighter than my usual palette, so I have to give a huge thanks to everyone for your suggestions and encouragement, it kept me going forward! Now it’s finished I like it, yes there are changes I would make with hindsight, but everyone’s reactions to it since I finished it have been positive, so hopefully it will do well on the night.
To give a bit of a recap, it’s a free pattern on the Tula Pink website, it’s called Flower Market. I used predominantly Tula Pink fabrics, so there’s owls, racoons, squirrels, frogs, all sorts hidden within the designs. As a pattern it went together really quickly as some of the pieces are full block or even double block size. Arranging the fabrics and colours was more difficult as I had to fight my usual desire to have the colours fairly co-ordinating, the lime green really makes it pop but I did have to be pushed into using it!
I backed it with some plain fabric in a light blue/green colour which pretty well matches one of the fabrics on the front. In some lights it looked a bit bright but it works well now it’s all made up. It’s actually a lot lighter than it looks in the photo, you can see a peep of it in the photo of the quilt folded below.
I quilted it using a mixture of flower patterns and foliage of sorts. The flower design is one I found on the internet but I didn’t fancy using it all over so I also used my standard quilting pattern which is like meandering to a point! I found when I started free motion quilting that it was when I had to stop that I had a wiggle, so I decided to change direction at that point instead, much easier! My tension still isn’t perfect but it’s improved a lot, I haven’t got any ‘eyelashes’ from going too quick!
I used a variegated thread on the top which is purple and green, I think it nicely pulls it all together. The quilt is about 63″ square, so it was a bit of a handful when I was trying to quilt the centre as I’ve only got a standard size sewing machine.
I stitched teal green binding on, I always hand-stitch it down which takes quite a while but I’ve never managed to get a neat result with the machine. I understand a lot of quilters really dislike binding a quilt, but I see it as the last stage, it’s almost done and it’s actually quite relaxing. It took a few hours but it’s one of those activities where you can just let your mind wander and day dream away, before you know it you’ve stitched all the way round.
I just need to embroider the name of the quilt, my initials and the date on the back and it’s ready to be posted.