The other day I decided to make myself a top, I chose a fairly straight forward pattern with a crossover drape across the front and some lightweight jersey from my stash. I cut it out and then tested a few stitches on my sewing machine, whatever I did it ate the fabric, I tried a flat zigzag, a stretch stitch, different sizes, I had a new jersey needle in the machine but the machine kept stopping ‘for safety reasons’, namely that it was eating the fabric! I tried the overlocker with no more success! In the end I abandoned it and made a skirt instead!!
I bought this length of denim a couple of years ago on Otley market, it has a band of embroidered flowers along one edge. It’s one of those lengths that after I’d bought it I began to have second thoughts, mainly because the embroidery is in quite bright colours, was it too much! I decide to try it…
I chose a pattern I picked up from the swap table at the Dewsbury Sewing meet-up, Newlook 6013, it’s just a straight skirt with a button front and a split at the back. I decided it would work in denim.
It went together really easily, I chose a snazzy sewing fabric for the inside pocket lining which adds like a secret splash of colour. I lowered the height of the split by about 4″ as I felt it would have barely covered my bottom! The pattern also only used six buttons, as you can see I used about nine as I wanted the slightly closer together and a lot further down! I still haven’t quite mastered the knack of remembering to turn the button the right way up before hammering the back in. I used the keyhole buttonhole stitch on my sewing machine and they’ve come out OK.
I made a straight size 14 and I’m pretty pleased with the fit, it’s comfortable to wear and most importantly the buttons stay done up! I was thinking if the embroidery looks a bit bright I could always wash it with a few dark blue towels, but now it’s made up I really like it, it doesn’t look as bright.
I still need to make some tops so I need to master jersey sometime soon!