Spring Wreath Quilt

I’ve just finished another block for my Spring Wreath quilt BOM, this is a gorgeous design by Andrea Walpole of Raggedy Ruff Designs. It’s been a very steep learning curve as I’ve not tried free machine embroidery before but Andrea’s instructions are great and her best bit of advice is ‘Just take a deep breath and go for it!’

Just to remind you, the first block was the family of rabbits, this sits in the centre of the quilt…

Spring Wreath BOM

The second block was a deer, very cute, I think this one sits bottom left on the quilt…

Spring Wreath

This month it was a pair of foxes, it was actually easier that the two previous blocks as their eyes are closed!! Once the block was pieced and the applique cut out using freezer paper, the embroidery bit doesn’t actually take that long, an evening or so. I’m not nearly as terrified by the embroidery bit as I was on the first one, I almost enjoy that part!

Spring Wreath BOM

As you can see the quilt depicts British wildlife, Andrea’s love of the countryside and it’s wildlife shines through her designs, the animals are beautifully drawn. I’ve decided it’s the detail that makes these quilts so wonderful, both with the shapes of the fabric cut and the embroidered detail. For example, the dandelion seeds that are floating away haven’t just got a white fluffy bit, they have the brown seed dangling down too, the butterfly wings have veins and coloured spots.

I’ve got squirrels to do next and then an owl. After that it’s ‘just’ the floral border swags that bring it all together.

This entry was posted in embroidery, Quilting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Spring Wreath Quilt

1. Lisa at Greenbow says:

It sounds like a lot of detail and what I have seen so far is a lot of fun. I know it will be beautiful when you are finished.

Those foxes are just sweet! This really has been a good challenge for you, and what a beautiful quilt it will be.

3. LaNelle says:

What a gorgeous quilt!

Ow wow. It’s time I plucked up courage to free machine embroidery, after all that’s why I bought the machine in the first place.

5. Jane M says:

The animals have so much character and your ‘going for it’ has really worked well. Can’t wait to see the next block

6. mandycurrie says:

Hello Margaret, this quilt is gorgeous and your work is beautiful, well done. I so want to make this. Are you having fun yet. I’m not sure about free machine embroidery, I’ve only ever done it when I had my machine lessons. Kind regards Mandy xx

• craftycreeky says:

Hi Mandy, I am enjoying it now, in fact I’ve bought quite a few of her little kits as well! I’d not done machine embroidery before, but Andrea (the designer) is right when she says just take a deep breath and go for it! Try one of here little designs first, she has lots on her Etsy website.