On Monday it was my Embroiderers Guild meeting, we usually spend the morning stitching our own projects so I always pack my box the night before with whatever I’m planning to stitch. I decided to crack on with my Etui box, stitching outlines and inside pockets, I sorted out the flosses and linen so I was all ready. At the last minute I threw in a little scissor fob kit.
It was a good job I did, as when I sat down to start stitching I realised I had everything apart from the magasine with the instructions in!!
Out came my little kit! It’s one I bought at the Knitting and Stitching show a couple of years ago, it’s one by Sue Hawkins, she always has a wonderful display of needlepoint smalls.
I nearly fell down at the first hurdle – I couldn’t follow the instructions on where to start on the canvas, I even got someone else to look at it! In the end we decided it was only little so I could wing it and just start where I thought!
The rest of the instructions were fine with clear charts and diagrams. I learnt a new way of starting thread by having the loop of a double thread underneath and passing the needle through, a neat way of starting!The mint green border is stitched in long armed cross stitch, I’m still not sure about the way it goes round the double corners but she did provide very clear instructions on how to do it.
The front and back were stitched with two threads in between and didn’t take long at all, after a day at Embroiderers Guild and a morning visiting my mum I was almost there so I just cracked on and finished it…
The two sides are stitched together using long legged cross-stitch. I’ve used it before for joining needlepoint and it does make a nice textured finish. I wasn’t sure how to go round corners so I just added a couple of extra stitches to make sure the canvas was covered. I used my cord-maker to make the loop for the fob, stitching it in as I went along. After stuffing it quite firmly I had a pretty little scissor fob.
The finishing touch was two very pretty buttons attached either side and pulled firmly to dimple the fob – easier said than done!
So within about three days my scissor fob was finished, all ready to attach to a pair of embroidery scissors. Of course I have quite a few to choose from but I decided on my newest embroidery scissors. I think they look very pretty together.
I’m linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday, why not follow the link for lots more hand-stitching.