I rather enjoy stitching my little cross-stitch smalls, I usually stitch them on the move, ‘borrowed time’ stitching as I call it, waiting for appointments, in a train station or just waiting for the water to boil for the potatoes!
I did manage to stitch July in the appropriate month, I just didn’t manage to finish it! These are designs by Maja Matyas from The Snowflower Diaries, it’s a SAL from 2016 (I think) it’s called The Joyful World, it’s available free through her facebook page now. I’m about half way through August too, so I’ll be late with that one as well!
I found a pretty pink Japanese sort of print which I think goes well with it. I made a cord from a variegated pink thread and the sandy gold used in the design. I stitched it round, making a hanging loop and added two buttons either side of the join to help hide it.
Back in early summer Christina from Petals & Pins stitched a pretty cross-stitch by Lizzie Kate, she kindly offered to send the chart (and teeny buttons to embellish!) to the first name out of the hat…and that was me! I was well chuffed!!
I stitched it last month using my favourite shade of soft green permin, I had most of the threads in already, all except one, which I substituted for it’s neighbour until I bought the real thing, I was just too impatient to wait! So ‘Make it ‘ should have been a shade darker, which would have shown up better but I like it as it is. It’s a very cute design, I love the little bird box!
Once I had stitched it I had to decide how to make it up, I wanted to do a bit more than just put a back on it and make a mini pillow. I started to play around with fabrics. My favourite bee fabric co-ordinated nicely with it and also continued the theme of bees on the cross-stitch. I also discovered that a length of teal and blue fabric I bought a couple of years ago complimented it perfectly, just picking out the blue of the cross-stitch too. I played with the idea of making a square cushion, but eventually decided on a long thin one.
I stitched some lace over the bees, added a 1″ folded blue strip and then stitched it to the cross-stitch. I used the blue fabric to back it and added four tiny mother of pearl buttons. I stuffed it, stitched up the end and then made some cord to go around.
I’m really pleased with how it came out, so thanks Christina for a lovely pattern.