A couple of years ago I bought some vintage silk saris on ebay, they averaged about £12 each so six yards of beautiful silk for very little outlay. One of them was a gorgeous charcoal grey ombre with a dark grey check pattern and gold embroidered daisies. The daisies were along one edge as a border and also in each square for the first yard or so.
The main length of silk with a border on was made into a skirt in June 2016, however I have to admit I’ve hardly worn it, mainly because I didn’t have a top to go with it!
One of the classes in a local show is to make something from something else, in other words, sewing a recycled item. It also has to have been made in the previous twelve months, which would exclude the skirt. However if I made a top to go with it then the outfit would have been completed this year!
I had about a metre left of the gold daisy end, it had a pretty border along the edge as well. I decided to make the shell top from the Great British Sewing Bee book, mainly because it’s nice and simple so I could keep as much of the daisies intact as possible.
I wanted to use the border around the hem but there wasn’t quite enough to do the front and back, so I carefully positioned the front so the daisies were nice and central and the border was along the hem. For the back I used the main fabric border up the centre back, this had the added advantage that the edge was already finished!
It was pretty straight forward to stitch, I had to remove a few beads from the centre of the daisies near the seams, I french seamed the sides and used a black lining to face the neck and armholes. I turned up the back hem so it was level with the front and just stitched a narrow seam.
It’s actually really nice to wear and doesn’t look as Bollywood as I thought it might, I’m not usually a glitzy person! It’s a bit big across the back so once the show is over I might do some alterations. I think it will look just as nice with a slim grey velvet skirt, so that’s another project added to my to do list!