This is just a quick post as I really should be packing for Tea & Tents, an amazing crafty and fun camping weekend with 500 WI ladies from all over the country. We’re all descending on Walesby, a Scout camp near Nottingham on Friday. It’s the second time we’ve been there so at least they will know what to expect this time!
Last week when I showed him to you I was near, but not that near, I still had a lot of silk shading to do.
On Monday it was my Embroiderers Guild meeting, I decided to concentrate on Bertie. It still didn’t seem to be moving on particularly quickly, in fact I commented to someone during the afternoon that I’d been stitching for hours with only a bit to show for it. That evening I settled down to do a bit more, and all of a sudden it was more or less done.
I then stitched the veins in stem stitch which did seem to neaten the leaves and finish them off nicely. As a final touch a few silver thread stitches were made around the leaf to add a little sparkle, it makes a lovely subtle effect.
Next to be stitched was the silver couched outline. I buried the ends with a very large needle and couched with standard Gutermann thread. I quickly learnt that to get neat corners I needed to make lots of extra stitches, they’re not perfect but I’m pretty pleased with them.
This evening I just had some seed beads to stitch around his eye and Bertie was finished.
I have really enjoyed this kit, I started it at a three day workshop with Nicola Jarvis, the designer, which was held in May. It’s really pushed me but also made me realise I can do embroidery like this. I’ve another two of her designs on my to do list now, but in the meantime I shall just enjoy Bertie.