I have finally made enough progress on Bertie the Blackbird to show you. I started him in May at a three day Embroiderers Guild workshop with Nicola Jarvis who is the designer of this beautiful bird. By the end of the three days I had started and more or less mastered each section, I just had to finish it…
I had just finished the twirly shapes across his shoulders and the tiny seeding stitches in between.
I’m working my way through the instruction booklet now, checking I stitch everything in the right order. I couched some silver thread around the large black leaf shapes together with a fine silver line along the vein. I love the effect of the couching.
The next area to be tackled was the black tear drops and the little dots. These were stitched in satin stitch. I remembered this time to edge the shape with split stitch first as it does make a better shape with the satin stitch.
This bit did seem to take a long time, once they were all stitched I used a light grey DMC thread to make tiny seeding stitches around the tear drops and the dots.
‘All’ I’ve got to do now is the large grey leaves with their silk shading, I say ‘all’ as it might be the trickiest bit. I’ve a little more couching too and then Bertie will be finished. I’ve a few ripples in the unstitched area which I’m hoping will merge with the stitching, if not I think I may be stretching it by hand before I take it to the framers, maybe with a bit of padding underneath!
Hopefully not too long before Snoopy can do a happy dance again!