A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I wanted a few projects finished before I started more, well this was one of them and whilst it isn’t happy dance time yet I’ve made enough progress to show you it again.
Last October I went on a course with Anne to the Yorkshire School of Sewing. I wanted to make a Chanel jacket. It was a two day course and we were under no illusions that we would complete the jacket in that time. The aim was for us to have done enough to be able to complete the jacket at home. This was Ann and myself after two days, jackets basically put together but with lots to do on the inside! If you want to read my earlier post about how we got this far follow this link.
There’s an awful lot of hand-stitching on a Chanel jacket. The lining is quilted to each piece before the jacket is constructed, so basically the whole lining is hand-stitched in…
After the course I started hand-stitching the lining down but then I got waylaid with other projects and it has been on Florence, my muse, ever since.
After I finished piecing my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt I decided this had to be on my list of things to do next. I started hand-stitching the seams down, there’s an awful lot of seams!! Even the sleeves have two seams each! Gillian (from Yorkshire School of Sewing) had suggested a small sleeve head made frpm wadding, I couldn’t get the sleeve to lie flat for the lining with it in, so in the end I removed them.
After quite a few evenings work I have hemmed it, stitched the neck-facing down and stitched all the linings down. The basic jacket is now complete!
My next problem is the buttonholes. I wanted my jacket to have buttons so I have a proper facing at the front. I marked my buttonholes but I can’t get the thickness of the fabric under the buttonhole foot. I’ve had this problem with the last two coats I’ve made, I can’t decide if it’s a problem with the foot or if it is because the tweeds are a fairly loose weave so the fabric is more easily damaged and caught under the foot. Either way, I couldn’t do it.
In the end I decided to see if someone else could do it. We have a lady in Otley who I’ve heard very good reports of, she does alterations and repairs. I popped in to see her this morning to ask if she could do my button holes. She’s snowed under with work at the moment (she was buried under a wedding dress skirt when I arrived!) so it will be mid May before she has chance to do it. I’ve left a reel of thread and a button and even the pattern piece with the spacings on, just in case my pins come out!
Once it returns I’ve got all the titivating to do. I’ll make a final decision on false welt pockets, stitch braid around the edges, chain inside the hem to give weight to the jacket and help it to hang well, maybe buttons up a false sleeve placket too. I haven’t quite decided on the buttons yet, fancy black or plain burgundy. The pink and red cord might be couched inside next to the lining edge, maybe!
Anne finished hers ages ago, have a look to see her version here, she’s much more patient than me and worked hard to get a beautifully finished jacket.
I think I’ll just be happy to have a finished, wearable jacket 🙂