I can’t quite believe I’ve stitched the last border of my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt, not that I’ve finished the penultimate border yet but at least it is all ready to stitch on when I finally finish those vines!
I started this border before my holiday, my original plan was for a totally scrappy border look, but you know how I struggle with totally random, so in the end I decided on green triangles inside (as it’s next to a purple border) and purple triangles on the outside. The squares were limited to fabric I had left so I was a bit limited in how I arranged them. I’ve tried to alternate them pale green and grey, but there’s a couple of places that I couldn’t. Apart from the dark purple corner squares I didn’t even look at the centre squares as it just got too complicated! Eventually I had a layout I was happy with.
The basic block is the square with a triangle attached opposite ends, these are then stitched so they stagger, this did mean that there was actually only one seam to line up each time but I did still have to concentrate to make sure it was the right seam and the right way up! There’s a couple of places where the triangle isn’t quite long enough, I tried taking it apart and restitching with the same result, I think I might need to cut a bigger triangle and just take that one out.
For some reason I found the corners very confusing, My initial plan was to try and match fabrics in the half sized triangles, I then got myself in a pickle and decided it was too difficult…but having stitched one end I sorted myself out and matched the next piece so at least the purple triangles match right round the corners. Matching the inner green was one step too far!!