Somehow or other I seem to have ended up with three little cross-stitch projects on the go, which is a lot, even for me!
Last month I stitched ‘January’ from the Joyful World series by Maja Matyas, I think it’s really pretty and soon after finishing it I started February, my idea was to get a bit a head so I would have the embroidery finished in time to display for the appropriate month.
February is particularly cute with two ducks on it, I stitched the drake but then mislaid the project bag with everything in. I was beginning to think I’d lost it as it’s often in my handbag to snatch a few stitches here and there, maybe it had fallen out…
Whilst I was waiting to find it I decided to start March, so I’ve stitched the stork over the last couple of weeks…
In the meantime I decided to stitch a wedding anniversary card for our anniversary in March. I chose a design I’d seen on facebook by SubRosa. It’s turned out a little bigger than I anticipated so I might make it into a fabric card rather than just mounting it on a card. I made a couple of changes to the pattern, some intentional, some not! I chose four DMC colours which I think work really well together.
I started the embroidery whilst I was visiting my mum, I stitch and chat with her and clearly there was a lot of chatting and not much concentrating as the very first row which was the shaft of the key was about four stitches short!…only I didn’t realise until I had already stitched the head of the key and started the greenery! It was certainly too late to start unpicking it. It did make the key a little short, so I decided to add another twirl on the top of the key head, make it more round. I think it works pretty well!
I think these designs are reproduction ones as the initials were W and R with the date 1776 and there wasn’t any alternative lettering with the pattern. I wanted it to have our initials on and really I was very lucky. It was fairly easy to turn an R into a K for Ken, and what’s an M but an upside down W! I’ve just got some floral corners to stitch and it will be ready to make up.
Last night the February duck waddled out from behind the piano! I was very relieved to find it.
Now for some exciting news!
About a month ago an e-mail came through from Sew and Sew which mentioned the National Needlecraft Awards. There are several categories including ‘Needlecrafter of the Year’, all you had to do was send in a photograph of an embroidery you’re particularly proud of and write a bit about it. On the spur of the moment I filled it in and sent a photo of my flower lattice.
Well I found out today I’ve been short-listed, I’ve to post it down to them for the final judging and I think it will be on display at the Knitting and Stitching show in London next weekend – exciting stuff!! Such a shame I can’t go as I’ll be on my way to Australia!