It’s three weeks since I showed you the hand-stitching on my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt, there’s rather a lot to do at the moment as I’m stitching the deep rabbit borders, which are very cute but all hand appliqued. This is where I was three weeks ago, just before Christmas…
…I’d got one rabbit border stitched and the other bunnies cut out, ready to applique during a weekend away visiting my in-laws. I managed to sew quite a bit over the weekend, sitting chatting and sewing! I finished the running rabbits and two of the sitting rabbits. I realised when I returned home and finally watched the video of the sitting rabbits that I had the ears the wrong way round, one ear is a separate piece of fabric and it should be on top, making it the nearest ear, I’d stitched it like the running ones so it’s the far ear! So I’ve got two rabbits one way and two the other way! I also realised one ear is actually the wrong way round completely as I’d cut it out upside down…so I think I’ve got one rabbit technically correct!!
Once all eight rabbits were stitched I had another look at the instructions, hoping to officially finish another month by stitching in the right order. The running rabbits border also has some flowers on both under, behind and infront. My rabbits aren’t jumping high enough to get a flower under their bottoms and I wasn’t sure I really liked the stalks coming out of the border, they are running through a purple haze of flowers anyway! I decided to start with the bees…I rather like my bees, I chose a square from the Potting Shed layer cake which is the basis for this quilt. It’s a sort of honey colour with writing on which I felt looked like soft stripes. Unfortunately once the wings were stitched on most of the stripe effect was lost, but I know it’s there! I’ve stitched four bees on and I’ll but some more round the sitting rabbits too.
Behind the sitting rabbits is a vine with flowers. First job was to make the 1/4″ bias binding. I struggled a bit this time and in the end I found it easier to use the hera marker along the crease line, trim the seams and then just needle turn, rather than trying to press it first.
I positioned the big flowers and then curved the vine around it. The pattern calls for 26 leaves on each vine, having seen a few on facebook I decided to add some extra flowers and less leaves. I’ve left a small gap in my vine at the far end as once it is stitched onto the quilt I am then planning to take a vine round the corner to bring a flower and some leaves to my running rabbits.
I’m probably half way through this vine, having seen the photos I might move a couple of leaves around, then I’ve just got to repeat it three times!!
This hand-quilt-a-long is organised by Kathy of livinginarapidcity. there’s quite a few of us now, we just post every three weeks to show our progress and encourage each other. There’s some amazing quilting being stitched, so please follow the links to see what everyone else is stitching. If you would like to join us please contact Kathy at the link below.
I’m also linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for her weekly slow-stitching party, follow the link for some more amazing hand-stitching.