I’m half way through stitching this section but it is so cute I had to share it with you!
This is the final cross-stitching section as the next two sets of instructions are for making up the wallet. We’re making a biscornu scissor fob, I’ve made a biscornu once before (another scissor fob, photo on right) they are made from two squares but they are stitched together with corners in the centre of the sides, so you get a sort of zig-zag cube effect around the fob, fiddly but do-able!
I’ve just finished the first square, it’s got a little square of the hydrangea flowers in the centre with a variegated thread and bead design around the edge. It is so pretty! It always amazes me when I do something small like this as the centre is just 20 stitches each way, which is pretty small…but that still means there’s 400 stitches in this small area!!! It’s probably a good job I don’t work out stitch-counts for bigger projects!
The other side of the biscornu has a single lisianthus flower, with the variegated threads and beads in the corners. I’m presuming once it is made up we’ll have a lovely pattern of variegated threads around the edge.
I made a small change to my stitching wallet too. The only part of this design that was niggling me was my sequins down the spine. The instructions call for pearlised sequins, so I ordered some on the internet. Everyone else on facebook seems to have got sequins that co-ordinate beautifully with the pink and green colour scheme. Mine were distinctly blue! I kept them in hoping that as they were surrounded by more pink and green stitching, they would reflect more of those colours, unfortunately this didn’t seem to happen and they jumped out at me every time I looked at the wallet.
Last night I had an idea and after a bit of testing and playing, I decided it would work. I’ve got quite a few little pearl vintage buttons, some of them are particularly tiny. I found the smallest ones I could and stitched those on in place of the sequins. I had four very tiny ones and two slightly bigger, so I just arranged them in a pattern. I experimented with adding a darker pink star underneath (like the start on top of the sequins, but it was nearly all covered by the button, I also tried stitching the buttons on with the darker pink but in the end I just stitched them on with DMC 948 which is the ivory/pink shade used to stitch the edges and the hydrangeas.
If I happen to see two more tiny buttons before I stitch this up I might swop the bigger ones, but either way, I’m happy with the effect, I think they blend nicely with the pearl buttons, give it a bit of a vintage feel and follow along with the theme of a stitching wallet.
Hopefully I’ll stitch the final square this week so I can start stitching it together next week.
I’m linking up tomorrow with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday, why not follow the link and see what everyone else has been creating.