Stitch-a-long 15

Well at this rate I might have a happy dance by Christmas ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s three weeks since I showed you my silk ribbon and stumpwork flower panel, I’d just finished the panel with a dragonfly on.Stumpwork and Ribbon Embroidery

I spent another few evening stitching the next panel, an orange tree in a wicker basket…

The first part to stitch was the wicker basket, this was done on a spare piece of cotton, the top edge is a wire oval couched down, it does give a nice firm edge to the basket. The main body of the basket is woven, so I stitched a few long straight stitches and then wove the thread from one side to the other. I used a variegated perle thread which does give a nice effect.DSC_0002

Once stitched I then had to make a small running stitch around the basket and then cut it out close to the gathering stitch and right next to the wired part. It’s meant to be padded with toy stuffing but of course I couldn’t find any in my sewing room so I used a couple of circles of batting scraps instead. I gathered the edges in and then stitched it to the panel with the batting just giving it a gently rounded look.

The trunk and branches were made next. It’s made from several pieces of cake decorating wire twisted together and then fanned out for the branches. The scariest bit was making a hole in the ‘soil’ with my embroidery scissors, big enough to squeeze the trunk through! Once it was overcast to secure it long lengths of thread were then wrapped around to cover it, starting each time at the base and working up to the end of a branch. I used a variegated stranded cotton and a plain DMC one, I find this gives a more gentle variation. The branches are bound to the ends and then overcast at the edges, so it’s only actually attached to the panel at the base of the trunk and the branch tips. It’s fiddly but it does give a nice effect.

DSC_0003

Next to make were the oranges. These are made from little beads bound with 2mm or 4 mm ribbon. I had to find some beads which were small enough but had a big enough hole to get several lengths of ribbon through. I managed to find a packet which included orange and red beads, so even if a bit showed it didn’t matter too much. I had a couple of lengths of orange thread and I also dyed a length with silk paints. They were made to finish with two tails of ribbon, these were then threaded through the panel to be secured with later stitching.

DSC_0007The tiny dots (at the opposite end from a stalk, not sure what they’re called!) are made with a knot of thread. The book says to use embroidery silk but I found I got a better knot with perle thread. The knot is trimmed close and then the thread goes through the orange (that was a squeeze!!) into the panel to the back.DSC_0009

I dyed some more ribbon for the leaves, these are mainly lazy-daisy stitch with a few french knots for texture. I must admit having done this project I don’t think I would buy coloured silk ribbon again, I’ll just buy undyed and colour it as I need it, invariably the ones I have I end up overdying anyway as they are not the right shade. With iron set silk paints it’s a two minute job!DSC_0001 (1)

The little forget-me-nots are made with a simple ribbon stitch and a french knot in the centre. The flagstone edges are a single strand of embroidery silk couched down. The only think left to do is an optional ceramic bird. I’ve been looking on the internet for one small enough, pretty and (the difficult bit!) facing the right way! I feel it needs to be flying into the tree, not out of the picture. I have sent for one, it was only about ยฃ2 so if it doesn’t look right it’s not the end of the world!

DSC_0002 (2)There’s quite a few of us taking part in the stitch-a-long now, it’s organised by Avis from Stitching by the Sea, so if you fancy joining us then just drop her a line. We all stitch our own choice of projects so there’s lots of ย gorgeous stitching to see, why not follow the links and see what everyone else has been stitching. Warm welcome to our newest member Jackie who stitching some beautiful samplers;

Avis, Claire, Gun, Carole, LucyAnn, Kate, Jess, Sue, Constanze, Debbierose, Christina,

Kathy, Margaret, Cindy, Helen, Steph, Linda, Catherine, Mary Margaret, Timothy,

Heidi, Connie, Jackie

This entry was posted in Dressmaking, embroidery, Serendipity, Stitch-a-long and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Stitch-a-long 15

1. katechiconi says:

The orange tree is amazing! If I ever need to make something 3D for a quilt again, I’ll come to your blog for some ideas. I’d never have thought of using wire in an embroidery, but just see what you can do with it!

2. Faby Reilly says:

Absolutely beautiful !!!

3. Trisha says:

I love seeing the progress you are making with this its so beautiful!!!

4. tialys says:

I am in love with this, as you know, and no less so with the addition of the oranges.

5. Crazyqstitcher says:

Fabulous silk ribbon work on flowers and the oranges. I’ve had the book for many years but never began the lattice. You inspire me.

• craftycreeky says:

Thanks, I couldn’t have done it without the panel, I bought it on ebay for about ยฃ8 and I’ve just worked my way through the book, I can certainly recommend it, the instructions are pretty good ๐Ÿ™‚

6. I keep saying Wow! over and over again. I really appreciate the explanations of how you’ve done every stage. It must take ages to write up. Have you thought about printing your blog posts to make into a book for your family to treasure it in years to come.

7. lbick says:

Wow your orange tree is amazing! The whole panel is amazing. You are going a great job on it.

8. ccflo3 says:

This is so incredibly beautiful. Can’t wait to see more.

9. Christina says:

Those oranges look great! So very cute! Looking forward to seeing the bird you ordered ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Catherine says:

I love this every time I see it! Your orange tree looks amazing! If you don’t want to make a hole with your scissors, try threading a large needle with the wire (one part at a time), and use the needle to take it to the back. I love the way you are always dying your own ribbons for this piece.

• craftycreeky says:

Thanks catherine, I’ll try that with a finer wire but I don’t think I’ve a needle big enough for this wire!! I also managed to just get it through the first layer, rather than two layers of batting and the panel ๐Ÿ™‚

oh gosh! every time you tackle a new block, they just keep getting better and better!

12. lucyannluna says:

Another fantastic diamond completed

13. Think this might be my favourite panel.

14. Carole says:

Stunning! This is such a work of art and I love reading how each section is done.

Those oranges are wonderful! The designer of this sure was creative with the plants selected and flower directions. You are rendering it so beautifully. Are you going to frame this when you finish?

16. Debbie says:

Absolutely stunning. Really enjoy seeing your progress, so inspiring.

17. rutigt says:

Like is a too small word for this embroidery. Even Love it feels too small. It is Gorgeous!! I donยดt know how you managed to stitch all the flowers so right in color and all. Iยดm absolutely stunned!!!!

18. Oh. My. Word! This is incredible! I am in awe.

19. Connie says:

This is an amazing piece of work. You are very talented!

20. anne54 says:

How have I missed all this beautiful work before now? I never knew that ribbon work could be so lovely. Your oranges are wonderful, but I think I like the foxglove panel even more. A photo book would be a lovely record of your work.

21. Amazing embroidery, stitchery…okay it is just magical what you have done!!!