On Monday it was my birthday, I had a lovely day pleasing myself, I spent the morning in my favourite place, my sewing room, working on my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt. In the afternoon I went with Helen and the dogs to walk around a local reservoir. They’re both getting on a bit so we did have to have a few rests as we went round.
With a couple of days to spare I’ve managed to finish this months stitching on my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt; Sarah Fielke, the designer, will be publishing the next border instructions tomorrow.
This month has all been hand-sewing, the inner quarter of the sunflowers were stitched a couple of months back as part of the previous border, this time we had to cut two sets of quarter circles for each quarter, as well as the petals. I had to change my plans with fabrics a bit as I hadn’t taken into account the size difference in the petal strips. I could only get three out of a 10″ square from the layer cake, rather than the four I had planned, and I only had three suitable fabrics, luckily I found another one in my stash. I think it worked out for the best anyway as I used one fabric for all the petals on one flower, which gives it a bit of continuity.
Before I could stitch the border to the quilt I had to trim away the excess fabric from behind the applique, I think this was the scariest bit so far with so many photos on facebook of people accidently cutting the quilt! Sarah strongly recommends this to stop the quilt getting too bulky. With three layers at the corner of each sunflower, more with each seam and doubled when two are stitched together, I can totally see where she is coming from…but I did have to concentrate to make sure I was cutting the right bit!
The corner squares and the sides all fitted together pretty well, some flowers are better than others, but I’m happy that it isn’t too noticeable. The leaves were the last to be stitched on as they spread across the seams.
The quilt is about 50″ square now, I have to stand on a stool to photograph it!!
The next border is a narrow pieced one, looks rather complicated but I’m sure Sarah’s instructions will make it manageable, I think there’s going to be a lot of cutting out though!