I have finally made myself a pair of trousers!! It’s been on my to-do list for ages, I even included trousers as part of my #2017 Make Nine challenge to try and give me the kick to get going with trousers! It became a bit of a block, but since I no longer buy clothes and all my old trousers were wearing out I had to start somewhere!
I bought this material on the last Dewsbury meet-up, Ali (AKA Thimberlina) had made a great pair of trousers in the same fabric using Style Arcs Misty Jeans pattern. As soon as I saw it in Lucky Fashions I thought Ooh, I’m having some of that! It’s a heavier stretch fabric with a lovely jacquard design on it, perfect for stretch trousers.
My first plan was to use the Misty pattern, but having looked again at the pattern I’m not convinced I’ve bought the right size! I decided this wasn’t the fabric to try and fudge the pattern as I like it too much! I had the Ultimate Trouser sewing pattern from Sew Over It, this is designed for non-stretch fabrics but I looked on line and found a few people had made it with a bit of stretch.
I cut out a size 12, lengthening the legs by about 3″ as I didn’t want cropped trosers. I stitched the seams with the stretch stitch on my sewing machine, but finished them with the overlocker. I’m still struggling to get tension right on my overlocker, the stitch looks fine, but it’s not tight enough for a seam to hold neatly. I’m beginning to think it’s my overlocker as it is about 25 years old.
Having stitched the four pieces together I tried it on. The pattern includes an invisible zip at the side. I decided as mine were stretchy, if I could get them over my hips, I would just have pull up trousers. I had plenty of room, so the side seam was stitched up. They felt a bit baggy around the waist so I took in a bit extra at the darts front and back and a little at the centre front seam.
The Ultimate Trousers are a little low waisted for me, and I also wanted a waistband in order to put some elastic in. Though my daughter’s comment to that was not to have them looking too elasticated ‘or they look like granny trousers’ She is clearly not at the age yet when she looks at clothes and think Ooh, that looks comfortable!!
I cut a 3″ wide length of fabric for my waistband and rather than trying to calculate the required length I just stitched it on whilst applying a little bit of stretch to the waistband, this system worked pretty well if I say so myself! I held the elastic round my middle with a bit of stretch, sewed the ends together and then inserted the elastic in by hand sewing the waistband down over it.
I just did a basic narrow hem at the foot end and my trousers were finished.
I’m really pleased with these, I just need a slight wiggle to pull them on, as you do with any snug pair of trousers, but they feel comfortable and I think they fit pretty well. I think I might make one more pair of Ultimate trousers (with a zip!) before I tackle jeans.
So I can tick another one off my Sew Nine challenge list, I’ve made the first three from my list of nine, so I’ve made a third, unfortunately it’s taken 2/3rds of the year 🙂
I’m linking up with The Petite Passions as the #wardrobe builder project for September is to make a pair of trousers, why not follow the link and see what everyone else is making.