I’ve just started month 7 of my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt, the block of the month by Sarah Fielke, it’s a medallion quilt so we’ve started in the middle and we’re gradually adding borders, this month we’re finishing the third major border. This is where I was last time you saw it, having just finished the Dresden flowers which caused me so many headaches trying to choose the right fabrics…
It was very reassuring on facebook to see just how many of us were struggling with the same issues, trying to help each other, that is the big advantage of doing a BOM that has an on-line ‘support group’ such as a facebook page, you don’t feel quite so alone, there’s always someone to help and encourage.
The suns in the corner of the cottages border are now turning into sunflowers! The outer quarters have an inner ring and an outer ring before the petals. Someone else on facebook had used purple for the outer circle and I thought ooh that would work with my colours. My original plan was to use four different gold fabrics for the petals, one for each quarter. I cut the four pieces for the inner quarters out of one 10″ square, so I thought Great, I’ve got just enough fabric with three more squares. Unfortunately I didn’t factor in the increase in size of the outer border petals, I could only get three out, luckily I found some in my stash that works sufficiently well.
As I’ve used three different purple fabrics for each flower I decided it would look better if each flower had all it’s outer petals in one fabric, it sort of brings it all together, a bit of continuity! Sarah suggested that we lay out the full quilt when arranging the applique pieces and I can see why, it would be so easy to get a Dresden flower upside-down or a flower pointing the wrong way. It also meant I could be careful when arranging my petals that they are all in the right corner! It’s getting harder and harder to photograph though as it get’s bigger with each border, it measures over 57″ already so I’m standing on tiptoe with it on the floor!
I’ve just started stitching the flowers onto the background, I’ve completed five so far, seven to go. I’ve got leaves to add in the corner squares too. The quilt feels a lot more balanced now, the dresden flowers don’t seem as dominating, I just hope it all goes together neatly when I come to piece it. Next month is all pieced, so I’m enjoying the hand sewing whilst it lasts 🙂