It’s three weeks since I posted about my stumpwork and ribbon embroidery and I’m pleased to say I’ve made pretty good progress. It probably helped that this is one of my favourite diamonds in the embroidery! This is where I was three weeks ago…
This block is nearly all ‘proper’ embroidery, as opposed to silk ribbon work. It takes a lot longer but I find I enjoy the embroidery part more, it may just be a confidence thing, silk ribbon embroidery is still a very new technique to me. There’s lots of new stitches and techniques with the stumpwork but somehow I find it easier.
The pergola was stitched with raised stem stitch, which is basically like weaving stem stitch across a framework of threads. The next bit to stitch was the leaves and the stems of the wisteria, these were stitched with stem stitch and fly stitch for the leaves.
I must have stitched hundreds of french knots over the last few weeks, between the hydrangeas, wisteria and other projects! The instructions called for a dusky pink and a light violet colour, I decided to just use one variegated DMC thread, I chose 4220 which has light shades of purple and blue with a bit of white. I tried to avoid the white where possible or buried it under some blue ones so it just gave a little highlight.
The final part to stitch on this diamond was the silk ribbon leaves. I didn’t have quite the right colour so I dyed some with my silk paints. I find it easier if I test it on a sheet of kitchen roll first as it looks so dark in the palette. I added a drop of blue to get the sage green, I’m really pleased with this one. The leaves were all meant to be stitched with lazy-daisy stitch to add fullness. I used it for the central ones, but I just did the simple ribbon stitch for the outer ones, it looks fine and it uses alot less ribbon!! So this is my wisteria block completed..
I’ve just started the next block which is red hot pokers, arum lilies and a natal lily. I start with the red hot pokers which are stitched with ribbon. I didn’t have quite the right colours so whilst I was doing the green, I also dyed a couple of shades of orange, one of them is overdyed on a light orange ribbon which gives a nice space-dyed effect.
The stems are made with cake decorating wire, luckily I’ve got green wire so I don’t have to be too precice with coverage. The wires are couched down and then the whole wire is over-cast with DMC thread.
The flowers of the red hot pokers are stitched with loop stitches, I’ve not seen these before but they are basically a row of tiny stitches formed over a big needle. Three size 26 needles are needed, one to stitch with, one to stitch over, and one to hold in place the row before.
I’m not sure about these, they look a bit too regimented to me, there is the suggestion of cutting some of the loops with fine stitches, I’m not sure I have the courage to do that, it’s too easy to pull them out, maybe I’ll have a think right at the end.
Here is my Flower Lattice so far, I’m over half way now!
The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed a needle keeper on my embroidery. I only heard of them last month and I spotted this one on Etsy,being quite in the mood for rabbits with my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt I couldn’t resist it. I bought a thread holder to match as well. It turns out they are made in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, so not too far away. So far I’ve found it very useful, I’ve not lost my needle since!!
Everyone is in different time scales, so if there isn’t a post when you first look, check later in the day. If you fancy joining us for the SAL, just send a message to Avis.