It’s three weeks since I last posted about my flower lattice, I haven’t spent as much time as I wanted on it as I’ve been concentrating on catching up with my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt, finishing a little hardanger sampler and doing the prep work for a cross-stitch stitch-a-long which has just started! Even so, I managed a good few hours concentrating on this project. Three weeks ago this is how far I had got…
I think the diamond I’m working on at the moment is my favourite in the whole book, it’s got hydrangeas and wisteria, I think it’s beautiful! The hydrangeas were the first flower to tackle. To make these I traced the circles from the book onto a piece of cotton. I then had to embroider french knots all over them. The book recommends two or three thread colours, I just used one of the DMC variegated threads which includes purple, pink and blue, I think it worked pretty well. It took forever to fonish these circles, I took it to embroiderers guild, so I was there from 10am until 3pm and I still had three to do when I got home!
Once the french knots were done I had to make a small running stitch a couple of milimetres out around the circle, cut it out and then gather it up and stitch it on. When I first saw the pictures I presumed there was a tiny bit of stuffing inside, but actually the gathered fabric behind is sufficient. They are so dinky!
The instructions tell you to make ten flower heads, Di (the designer) then explains she actually only used nine…having spent the time making it I was determined all ten were going on my picture! The flower heads are attached using the end of the gathering thread with just a few tiny stitches. I think they’re gorgeous!
I’ve to make some silk leaves next but I need to dye some ribbon again, so I started on the trellis. This is stitched with raised stem stitch, so a framework of straight stitches across the wood is stitched first and then the stem stitch is done over the frame, almost like weaving with a twist, it took a bit of getting the hang of, particularly changing direction, but I got there in the end.
Next I will be embroidering the stems and the wisteria, hopefully that will be finished when I next show you my progress in three weeks time.
There’s quite a few of us taking part in the stitch-a-long, we post every three weeks on our own projects, there’s all sorts of different embroidery to see, why not have a look what everyone else is stitching, just follow the links to see some stunning projects;
Everyone is in different time scales, so if there isn’t a post when you first look, check later in the day. If you fancy joining us for the SAL, just send a message to Avis.