Otley Show

A quick update on Otley show…

The weather was much better than forecast, it did rain, but not until mid afternoon, and I didn’t hear any thunder or see any hail!

It was a beautiful sunny morning when I took my entries down.

I went back in the afternoon to see how I’d done. I’d only entered four items this year. This is a huge drop for me as for the last two years I was trying to win the handicraft cup which is awarded to the person with the most points. I entered an average of twelve items each year, two per possible class, it worked!!

This year I didn’t want to win it, I was just entering for the fun.

I won first prize for my Crafty Creek Farm quilt in the variety class…

Anderson’s Farm

I won second prize for my Great Getaway bag…

and I won third prize for my padded coat-hangar.

I didn’t win anything for my Splendid Sampler quilt as I realised when I took it down there were a few threads needed trimming (you know I’m not very good at spotting them, there’s one on every photo!!!) and of course I didn’t have any scissors on me. I tried sticking the entry label on one lot, but unfortunately the judge spotted them too!

It was a close run thing as I worked out I was only one point behind the cup winner, she won three prizes too but they were worth one point more! I was glad I didn’t win it this year as I think if the same people win the prizes every time in these local shows, it puts a lot of people off entering. I’m hoping next year there might be a quilt class, as there were three quilts in the variety class. To my surprise there were only four entries in the cross-stitch, there’s usually lots in that class. We’ll see what happens next year…

This entry was posted in Serendipity. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Otley Show

1. MrsCraft says:

Well done. I agree with you on the point you made about it being the same people winning. I was put off one year by it but the next year I just entered anyway as it only costs 20p a go Lol! Your awards were well deserved. 😊

2. tialys says:

Well done!
    I smiled when I saw your bag. I must have bought industrial quantities of that fabric when it was available – so far, I have made a short skirt, several simple tote bags and covered two kitchen stools with it and I think I still have quite a bit left.

Many congratulations on your wins. I love the Lynn Anderson quilt, no wonder you got first prize.

4. Congratulations! I would have stood a chance too, it seems! I would have had to have made so many things in such a short time (esp. as there were class changes and only 2 months between schedule release and Show date), so I decided not to stress myself out so much.
    I completely agree about the same person winning etc being off-putting. When I used to enter in Sheffield the numbers in each class would alternate. One year there’d be lots, then next to none (or even none) the next year as people despaired of winning a prize. The next year people would all enter again as they could have won when only one had entered last year. Ad infinitum!!
    Bingley for me again this year – if they ever get their schedule out!

5. katechiconi says:

You’ll know to bring a kit with you next time you enter a quilt: a couple of needles, a pair of scissors, and a lint roller! Congratulations on your prizes, and good luck with your entries next time 🙂

6. tinaor says:

What gorgeous creations! Love the crafty geek farm quilt. You are very skilled !

well done, even if you didn’t enter to win this year ^^

8. CurlsnSkirls says:

Congratulations! A lovely morning, as shown in your top photo, and well deserved awards. xx

9. What beautiful creations – they all look like winners to me!

10. Catherine says:

Congratulations on your placings! Very well deserved and am glad the weather held off for you too.

Congratulations Margaret! Well deserved all around!!!

12. KerryCan says:

My goodness-you weren’t even trying and you almost won? That’s very impressive!