Finishing Touches

As I’ve mentioned once or twice, I’ve been decorating our house recently and I’ve tried, as I’ve done each room, to finish all the little touches that have been on my to-do list for ages. One of these was to recover the conservatory chairs.

I was given these chairs about fourteen years ago, they’re too comfortable to change but they were in need of a make-over. This is about the third or fourth time I’ve recovered them, I used the old cushions as the pattern, laying it on and cutting round.

DSC_0007

Isn’t the fabric gorgeous! We have a very nice curtain shop in Otley, they have fabulous window displays and sell beautiful fabrics, but they are well out of my price range. However I have found their sales are very good. They sell remnants, roll ends and display lengths very reasonably. This is a 3m length of Voyager fabric which had been in a window display, there isn’t any obvious sun damage and I just love the colours. There was actually about three or four lengths in this range and I could have quite happily bought them all! It usually sells at £30/m, I bought the 3m length for £30. It was an impulse buy and my original plan was to make some curtains for the little windows in my sewing room…only my windows weren’t quite so small as I imagined them!!

Having painted our conservatory a lovely shade of blue, I realised the Voyager fabric went beautifully. I had just enough…and I mean ‘just’, I nearly had to use short lengths to make up the gusset.

I’ve never put zips in these cushions, if I want to wash them it’s quick enough to undo the hand-stitched opening and then slip-stitch closed again afterwards. They went together really easily and fairly quickly.

DSC_0010

I just love the colours in these cushions, I just want to paint the cane now as it is looking somewhat shabby, I’ve bought a tin of soft grey chalk paint but I think I need one of those stiff stubby stencil brushes, if anyone has done this any tips would be  gratefully received!

The conservatory is almost finished now, I think my next job here is to reupholster a footstool. I’ve started putting my pictures back on the wall, which when you’ve got as many as I have, is a major undertaking! I like what I call a ‘gallery wall’. I’ve started a mini arrangement in the conservatory which I’m really pleased with.

DSC_0009

I started doing ‘gallery walls’ when the children were little. I bought a load of picture frames from charity shops and when they proudly brought their artwork home from school, their favourite ones could be framed and go on the wall. I covered the wall going up the stairs with their pictures. It really needs updating now as they are 20 and 22, not so keen on their childhood paintings being on display!

In the hall we have a long straight wall so I’ve hung all my embroideries there. It takes me ages to hang them as I like everything to be lined up with at least one other picture, I plan the layout on the floor and then it’s a tape measure and pencil job!

DSC_0016

The last picture gallery to rehang this month was in the dining room, which I’ve painted a light, soft shade of grey, I love it, it’s such a calm colour. We have all the family photos on display here. I decided to co-ordinate the frames a bit and bought black, white and grey frames. I’ve up-dated some of the photos too. The only frame I haven’t changed yet is our big wedding one. I’m really pleased with the effect.

DSC_0012

This entry was posted in Home, Serendipity, Sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Finishing Touches

oh I love your new cushion covers! a fabulous makeover job

2. Love your chair covers. They are beautiful with your new paint job.

3. lovelucie1 says:

Love your wall galleries. So neatly put together you can get away with displaying a whole load of photos without it looking too much.

The cushions are perfect in that room, and I love the concept of a stitchery gallery…that’s an excellent way to handle so many pieces who only have the common theme of stitching! We have a photo gallery downstairs, I saw an article in Better Homes & Gardens that suggested painting all the frames the same color, then it wouldn’t matter what their style was. A perfect solution, because mine were all different, it really worked well. I love your black, gray and white concept with very similar frames. Your renovation looks really beautiful, you have a gift for putting things together.

5. adaisygarden says:

What a great job on the cushions! The fabric is beautiful and they look wonderful!

6. tinaor says:

Nice job on the chair cushions. You obviously love the chairs to be on the third or fourth covers – how fab is that?! There’s a real trend to fix things these days rather than just buy new – I love it! Looking forward to seeing more of you projects. And I love the gallery wall. We used to have one when we lived in a terraced house – the pictures would wobble regularly – I guess as there must have been movement between the houses – they seemed all skew whiff all the time but never fell off luckily.

7. lucyannluna says:

Very pretty fabric

8. Catherine says:

I love that fabric and it goes so well with that blue!
    Your galleries are brilliant! I’ve always been worried that putting so many frames on the one wall would really crowd the space, but you’ve done it beautifully!

9. katechiconi says:

That cushion fabric really is lovely, and a great match for the walls. I love a gallery too, and have one on the end wall in our bedroom, facing the window, so I can wake up in the morning with the sun lighting it up. It’s a gallery of allsorts really, original paintings, my wedding sampler, family photos, etc, but it works very well, and like you, I love a gallery!

10. anne54 says:

Oh that fabric is gorgeous! It was meant to be, as you had just enough to finish the cushions. Got to love it when those things all come together. I love the galleries too. As Kathy says, you have a real gift for putting things together.

11. CurlsnSkirls says:

Oooo, lovely! Thanks so much for showing us a bit of what you’ve been doing.

12. Thimberlina says:

It’s looking fab, love all your walk hangings. Have you looked at the spray paints from rustoleum for your chair?? 😃

13. MrsCraft says:

Gorgeous fabric and I love the gallery walls. I’m looking at ways to improve our house and we definitely need a gallery wall.