Three weeks have flown by since I last showed you my flower lattice embroidery. This is where I was up to…
Last night I managed to finish the diamond with the alliums, hollyhocks and delphiniums. I stitched the flowers on the second delphinium, these are made with short lengths of silk ribbon, gathered along one long edge and the short ends with a french knot in the centre.
I then realised I should really have stitched the leaves to the allium on the right first, as they are meant to be behind the flower, anyway I fudged a bit and I think I’ve got away with it! The leaves for the delphiniums are some silk that Marilyn dyed for me at the Denman course.
The little orange flowers at the bottom are beetle daisies, I tried googling them as I’ve never heard of them, it took several attempts as I just kept getting pictures of a plastic daisy for a VW Beetle car!!!
I stitched a few french knots around the base and added some tiny leaves in green silk ribbon and my fourth diamond is complete.
I was pondering whilst stitching why this is taking me so long, apart from the obvious one that I’m not dedicating enough time to it. I decided that half the problem is the fabric it is embroidered on. It’s a preprinted panel and I’m not sure if it’s the printing process or the type of fabric but it is really hard to stitch on. Particularly if it I’m using a large needle (for the silk ribbons) I’m sometimes having to use my trusty artery forceps to pull the needle through! That does not make for a relaxed evening of sewing! Due to it’s texture I’m also unable to just catch a few tiny stitches at the back to cast off. I really need to concentrate and crack on with it, though typically for the next diamond I’ve got a completely new technique of stitching on disolvable fabric and I’m going to have to dye some silk ribbon!
I had a good sort out of one of my sewing boxes afterwards, I have a plastic box which I use for my current project, it’s just the right size for popping everything in if I’m off to Embroiderers Guild and just generally for keeping everything together. The problem is that whilst I regularly add threads that I need for a new ‘diamond,’ I’m not so good at taking out the ones I don’t need so it was getting rather full and tangled! I spent a good hour winding DMC threads onto plastic holders, I sellotape the number onto it now, I saw the idea on another blog (apologies but I can’t remember which one, let me know if you know!) and it works brilliantly. I counted up after and I had over seventy threads in the box!!…never mind the three pairs of embroidery scissors and dozen needles I found at the bottom!!
There’s quite a few of us taking part in the stitch-a-long now, with all sorts of different types of embroidery. Why not have a look what everyone else is stitching, just follow the links to see some stunning projects;
Everyone is in different time scales, so if there isn’t a post when you first look, check later in the day. If you fancy joining us for the SAL, just send a message to Avis.