It’s three weeks since I last showed you my flower lattice embroidery, this is how far I’d got then;
I’ve managed to get a few extra supplies on e-bay since then with this embroidery in mind, I bought a big pack of Anchor perle 8 threads, the photo of my box of threads only shows the top layer! I was using some I’d found in my stash before and to be honest they look a bit shiny to me. I did look at some beautiful threads from an embroidery supplier but I’m afraid it came down to cost, I could get forty Anchor threads for the price of about five of these other ones. I love the colours of these Anchor ones too, hopefully they will be useful. On the auction side of ebay I also won the bidding for some silk ribbons and some silk embroidery threads, these look like they have been left over from a kit, judging by how much there is I don’t think the embroidery was finished! They feel gorgeous and the colours look useful for flowers!
I used the perle thread for the lower flowers of the hollyhocks. These are stitched with cast-on stitch, it took me ages to get my head round this stitch, I couldn’t get the hang of which way the thread was looped onto the needle. It’s basically a bit like casting on with knitting, the effect is of a buttonhole stitch over a single thread which can be looped round as needed. It is stitched using a milliners needle (or straw needle) I’d not come across these before I started this embroidery. They do make a big difference. Apparently the eye is no bigger than the shaft of the needle, as we would say at work, it’s very low profile! This is say compared to a chenile or a crewel needle where the eyes are somewhat bigger than the shaft. The advantage of the milliners needle becomes apparent when you are stitching 24 cast-on stitches, or making a bullion stitch, the loops just glide over the needle without jammimg on the eye.
It seemed to take ages to stitch the hollyhock, the lower flowers have three stitches with a total of forty loops on each one!! The top ones are stitched with DMC stranded cotton using bullion knots.
I’ve embroidered the little ladybird crawling up the agapanthus stem and added the leaves on the agapanthus too. I was pretty pleased with the hollyhock leaves as I dyed the ribbon myself using silk paints. The paints I’ve got are set using an iron, so it’s pretty easy to do.
The delphinium is embroidered using some of the silk ribbon I got on ebay. The 7mm strips were cut into short 4cm lengths, gathered along the two short sides and one long side, pulled into a rosette and stitched on. There’s a french knot in each one but they don’t seem to be centring the flower, so I might go back and stitch a lighter, bigger centre. I’ll have a play on the second delphinium first.
I think the rest of this diamond should be fairly quick, so hopefully in three weeks time I’ll be onto the next one, the irises.
I neede to get cracking with this embroidery as I’ve just bought a copy of Inspirations magasine and my next three embroidery projects are in there!!
There are quite a few of us taking part in the stitch-a-long now with some stunning projects being made, why not follow the links and see what everyone else is creating;